Thoughts on coop insulation in New Mexico

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Staci-in-NM, Mar 22, 2015.

1. Staci-in-NM

Staci-in-NM New Egg

Mar 14, 2015
    Happy Sunday! We'll be building a larger coop for a new batch of chickens and are wondering if we should insulate. We live in central New Mexico where we easily have 40 degree temperature swings on any given day. We've read articles with differing opinions, so I thought I'd throw this out to the REAL experts. Anyone in the desert southwest that may be able to offer some sage advice?? Thank you in advance!

2. 21hens-incharge

21hens-incharge Chicken Obsessed

Mar 9, 2014
    Northern Colorado
    I am not in the desert southwest but wish you a hearty [​IMG]

I think you would be ok insulating if you wish to keep the cooler temps inside but with proper ventilation I think it may be a waste of time and money.
    Personal opinion only since I really do not know if it is needed.

1 person likes this.
  3. Percheron chick

Percheron chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2013
    Boulder, Colorado
    I would only insulate the roof to keep the summer temps reasonable. You can easily get away with just an open sided shed and skip a formal coop.

1 person likes this.
  4. Staci-in-NM

Staci-in-NM New Egg

Mar 14, 2015
    A friend in North Carolina recommended I join BYC. I'd only stalked posts for suggestions our last time around. [​IMG]

We insulated our last coop (for just 8 chickens) and, as you can likely guess, we're looking to improve and save on the next one. Thank you both for your insight - ! We may go with insulating just the roof. Awesome idea! I'm really looking forward to getting our next batch! Really appreciate your help.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by