Thoughts on Dominiques vs. RI or NH Reds...

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by NHchicks, May 12, 2011.

1. NHchicks

NHchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2010
    I have basically RI Reds and NH Reds, the rooster was a very handsome mutt so I also have hens that are easter eggers. They're all good-sized hens that lay brown and green good-sized to large eggs.

I'm thinking of hatching a couple Dominiques just for variety. I did notice, however, that their eggs seem small, and I don't know if I like that. I also wonder whether a Dominique rooster will be as handsome and as much of a gentleman as my RI Red-mutt rooster was (he's gone). And I wonder if Dominiques might get picked on in a mixed crowd, being smaller and more docile.

Hmm. I bought a few fertilized Dominique eggs and my broody is sitting on them. I just might grab another breed of egg and throw a couple of those under her too.

Any thoughts? Pros and cons of Dominiques vs. Reds?

2. onlyme8

onlyme8 Chillin' With My Peeps

Hmmmmmmm.....I have plymoth rocks which are very similar to dominiques.
    I also have New Hampshire reds & have had rhode island reds in the past.

My plymoth rocks are actually bigger then my NHR's.......but size can differ, plus yours would be dominiques.
    I think my plymoth rocks are nice, but yours would be a different breed. [​IMG]

sorry, I have never had dominiques. [​IMG]
    hope this helped anyways.

3. WallTenters

WallTenters Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 16, 2010
    Sweet Home, OR
    I LOVE my Doms, and I think the roosters are gorgeous! They do have more a medium size egg, but lay lots of them and don't need near as much food as a red to make the same weight in eggs.

4. NHchicks

NHchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2010
    Quote:Oh! Well that's a good thought. Plus I heard they are good foragers.

I think I'll like Dominiques (assuming they'll hatch). I hear they don't generally go broody too much, not that it matters.

It's kind of nice to have an assortment of breeds. I've loved my strictly brown, and then strictly brown with white flock, but a few gray would be really neat to have in there too.

5. WallTenters

WallTenters Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 16, 2010
    Sweet Home, OR
    Yes. If you get yourself some good Doms they'll steal your heart away. I just love my roosters and hens... and I never thought I'd think the cuckoo barring was so beautiful, but when you see them in person out in the sunshine they are stunning. I love seeing all the different lace patterns the hens have.

Oh, and they love to hunt mice too - big plus!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by