Thoughts on having a brooder in a shed....

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by HennyPenny2, Feb 29, 2016.

1. HennyPenny2

HennyPenny2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Last time I raised chicks I kept the brooder in the bathroom. I really don't want to do that this time around and I have no place in my small house for it. Instead of chicks in getting 2 ducklings beginning of April and here in SC on the coast our night time temps are ranging between 40-upper 50's and highs in the 60's and 70's and in a month that should get much warmer. So I'm thinking with a heat lamp in my shed that they would be ok if I put my brooder in there this time. Any thoughts?

2. DoubletakeFarm

DoubletakeFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2013
    NE Ohio
    It's fine as long as you can keep it warm enough. Set it up now with a thermometer and check it (especially at night). Ducklings aren't quite as picky as chicks with the temp, but you still have to keep it warm.

I have ducklings in the house right now and I REALLY wish they were outside. I just can't keep them warm enough even in the garage, but I live in Ohio.

And make sure your shed is predator proof.

3. DoubletakeFarm

DoubletakeFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2013
    NE Ohio
    Just reread your post and noticed your not getting them until April. Set it up a week or two ahead of time and monitor it then.

4. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Ditto Doubletake. Set it up ahead of time, and monitor. There are min-max thermometers - worth their weight in gold, in my opinion. You can read them to see how cold it got overnight.

I found - having set up the brooder ahead of time - that I could keep it at 90F. And then when the ducklings arrived, with moist bedding, I could not get it above 80F. So I added another lamp, that I already had, so it was no crisis.

By the way I used ceramic lamps I had had for my reptiles (who were deceased at the time we got the Runner babies).

Do all you can to prevent fires.

5. HennyPenny2

Ok thanks! I wonder if I put a stuffed animal in there if that would help? I'll look at the tractor supply for those thermometers too. Not sure what a ceramic lamp is. Should I not get the red light if I'm putting in the shed? My shed is critter proof. Actually it's half shed half chicken coop.

6. Amiga

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
  7. HennyPenny2

8. HennyPenny2

Last edited: Mar 1, 2016
  9. Amiga

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    I used ceramic bulbs with the clamp style lamps with no problem.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by