thoughts on hay

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by RIVERA69R, Nov 24, 2008.

1. RIVERA69R

RIVERA69R Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2008
    VENICE FL
    Ive heard alot about not using hay in the coop and also its okay to use hay in the coop i would like to know some first hand expertise on this matter please is it or is it not okay to use hay say instead of pine shavings? thanks for your response

2. JayBird+16

JayBird+16 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2008
    Fitzwilliam, NH
    I decided to add hay to my coop last night. I though my girls would like something fluffy & warm to sleep. This morning when I went out to collect eggs, the hay was everywhere, in the food, in the water - they made a mess. I took the hay back outside. Not sure that helps you but, it seems like the shaving are much less of a hassle.

3. greyfields

greyfields Overrun With Chickens

Mar 15, 2007
    Washington State
    I use hay because I make hay and it's therefore 'free' to me. But, hay will form an impenetrable layer under the droppings. So you can't use a deep litter method, but you need to much out the house before putting more down.

If you have a vegetable garden, it's an easy way to collect the bird droppings for composting.

4. Wynette

Wynette Moderator Staff Member

Sep 25, 2007
    Michigan
    MANY folks have had issues with hay getting balled up in their chickens' crops, causing impaction...if you search on crop impaction, you will find several folks who have had issues.

Just wanted to throw that out there as more info. for you!

5. RIVERA69R

RIVERA69R Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2008
    VENICE FL
    Now can you buy the pine shavings at the feed store or somewhere else

6. TaLani

TaLani ~ Gemini Chick ~

Oct 2, 2008
    Bryson City, NC
    Quote:We buy ours at Wmart for around $6 for a pretty big bag. You can also buy it at Lowes. [​IMG]

7. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    I use hay in my nest boxes without any problem. I use pine shavings on the floor and use the deep litter method.

8. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    Quote:Unfortunately I can tell you what you will get as an answer:

people who have used hay and not, to date, had a problem will tell you it is safe.

people who have used hay and, at some point, had a problem will tell you it is not safe.

Unfortunately what nobody (at least nobody without a working crystal ball) can tell you is when or whether you will have problems with it, or not.

Sorry, I know that doesn't clarify things, but it's the way it is, you just have to decide for yourself,

Pat

9. ella

ella Chillin' With My Peeps

I've had hens with crop impactions with hay, but I know the hay didn't CAUSE it. They had other issues going on, that's why they couldn't process they hay.

Chickens naturally eat just about everything, including small animals whole, bones, fur and skin and can digest them whitout a problem so hay in itself isn't going to cause the impaction. Assuming it isn't moldy and causes an infection that way.

BUT if they're weaked in some other way the hay can complicate the problem. I don't use hay just for that reason, it's easier to treat problems without compounding it with a hay filled crop.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2008
  10. al6517

al6517 Real Men can Cook

May 13, 2008
    Quote:Unfortunately I can tell you what you will get as an answer:

people who have used hay and not, to date, had a problem will tell you it is safe.

people who have used hay and, at some point, had a problem will tell you it is not safe.

Unfortunately what nobody (at least nobody without a working crystal ball) can tell you is when or whether you will have problems with it, or not.

Sorry, I know that doesn't clarify things, but it's the way it is, you just have to decide for yourself,

Pat

Well said, this would be my response, to each his own through trail and error.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by