Thoughts On Hova 1588?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Rbl4life, May 18, 2011.

1. Rbl4life

Rbl4life Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2011
    i currently have a couple home made incubators, and im starting to think i want a real one. I have heard some things about the 1588 and i just want some thoughts on it from you guys!

2. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    I have a 1588. It is styrofoam, not plastic. I don't have any trouble with it holding temperature or humidity, as long as I keep it in a stable environment. The fact that it is forced air is really nice as opposed to a still air, but that is not exclusive to a 1588. Mine has five different reservoirs in it so you can play with the humidity by filling different reservoirs, but it is hard to tell how full those reservoirs are when the lid is on.

Mine only has one vent hole. I'd prefer two. I'd like the extra flexibility in bleeding humidity off if it gets too high. I put a few straws with those flexible accordian joints together and can reach all the reservoirs to add water without raising the lid during lockdown. A second vent hole would make that easier though. And I would be able to leave my thermometer in full time if I had a second vent hole without worrying about ventilation.

The window at the top is not real open. The fan and heater blocks a lot of the vision. It is kind of hard to see the eggs right in the middle of the incubator because of that.

In guess my biggest complain is that with it being styrofoam, it is a little hard to clean and sterilize after a hatch. The water reservoirs in the bottom are in a plastic insert. You can remove that and clean that, so that makes clean-up a lot easier, but those chicks roaming around do get some stuff on the styrofoam sides. If you were just using it as an incubator and had a separate hatcher, clean-up would be easier.

I usually only use it twice a year. My 1588 is good enough for that. But if you plan on hatching fairly regularly, I'd suggest one that is easier to clean. I do recommend the turner whichever you get.

3. BawGock

BawGock Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 21, 2009
    Idaho Panhandle, USA
    Hi,
    I have two 1588s w/ turners and I'm really happy with them.
    They have hatched 100s of chicks for me and have worked best for me running them dry the first 18 days.
    Carolyn

4. Rbl4life

Rbl4life Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2011
    well than i think im going to get one, sounds good enough!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by