1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Thoughts on my MF D'uccles?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Mary Of Exeter, Jan 17, 2010.

1. Mary Of Exeter

Mary Of Exeter Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2009
    Rowan County, NC
    Not the best pictures in the world, but I'm anxious to hear some comments on my little trio. I don't believe these are hatchery birds, but I don't know. I just know the person I got them from bred them himself. Doesn't mean his stock birds didn't have hatchery blood in them. Oh well, I think they're gorgeous! I got these three back in the spring.

Rooster:
    [​IMG]

Hens:
    [​IMG]

More pictures:
    http://picasaweb.google.com/MaryOfExeter/January17th2010

2. Bantimna

Bantimna Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 29, 2009
    South Africa
    I love your hens' looks [​IMG]

Do you plan on showing them?

3. Apprentice_egger

Apprentice_egger Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 26, 2009
    Morrisville, Vermont
    I would suggest you get a better cock and try to get the legs and coloring straightened out a bit more if you're going to show. He is the weak link.

4. leighhancock

leighhancock Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 25, 2009
    Lancaster SC
    Oh crap...lol. I just bought my first two MFD's. I thought they were roos! If I am correct by comparing to your pictures I have HENS!
    Your birds are beautiful!

5. Mary Of Exeter

Apr 10, 2009
    Rowan County, NC
    Thanks [​IMG]

It seems like the roosters are always the ones not up to snuff. I may put the hens in a county fair show just for the heck of it. Definitely wouldn't try anything bigger and more serious just yet [​IMG] I love these little guys and hope to find some good quality show D'uccles. They come in the most beautiful colors too!

6. Boggy Bottom Bantams

Boggy Bottom Bantams Overrun With Chickens

Mar 9, 2008
    Hahira, GA
    The thing with millie fluer cockerels of any breed, is they continue to color up til they are 2! You cock looks to be an 09 bird, if so, I wouldnt cull him just yet he has potential if he's still young. They have decent beards, good color, I dont notice any vulturine hocks on any of them though? Could just be young yet, but that would be my biggest concern....

7. NateinFL

NateinFL Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2009
    Wesley Chapel FL
    Yep, what she said. I talked to a very well-respected breeder who has been breeding them for 30 years. You must wait on the cockerel before writing him off. They just keep changing. And I think its true, theres more things that can "be wrong" with a cockerel than a hen. the hen's are easy. Make sure you get a copy of the APA standards as well, that way you know what you are going after. Good luck, they are a very fun breed to work with!

8. Mary Of Exeter

Apr 10, 2009
    Rowan County, NC
    Yep, he'll be a year old later this spring. They do have some vulture hocks, which look to blend in with the wings in the pictures. Little, but there [​IMG]

Where can I find the standard for them?

9. NateinFL

NateinFL Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2009
    Wesley Chapel FL
    I have the american standard of perfection book, hopefully somebody else can post a link to it online.

10. Boggy Bottom Bantams

Boggy Bottom Bantams Overrun With Chickens

Mar 9, 2008
    Hahira, GA

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by