Thoughts on publishing children's book about pet chicken

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by aringisthething, Feb 5, 2018.

1. aringisthething

aringisthething In the Brooder

Feb 5, 2018
    Growing up on a small dairy farm, I was in charge of our Rhode Island Reds, and one of the flock's beauties became my pet, whom I named "Cluck-Cluck" - I know, not the most creative! She and I were the best of friends, and my five siblings and I used to play dress up with her. My mother even let me bring her in the house. Every day I took her out of the chicken house to roam freely around the farm. Instinctively, I guess I knew "free-range" would become the rage!

One of the things I love about living in Thailand is time to write; in a quiet, warm, green space (unless of course the Thais are having a 10-day festival with blaring music heard miles away). I have written the rough draft of a children's non-fiction, picture book targeted to chicken lovers of all ages, and also to conservative, farm families, as I grew up Mennonite. The crux of the book is as follows: a young girl overcomes her conservative's family's doubts about making a chicken her pet. So I am currently in the very, very long process of revising my draft, and I welcome any thoughts on the writing and publishing process. [I already know to prepare myself for the rejection letters.]

For example, any recommendations for publishing houses? writing contests? self-publish? e-book? target audience? your personal experiences?

Many thanks for your input!

2. Pork Pie

Pork Pie Flockwit

Jan 30, 2015
    Hi again, I responded to your other thread here on New Members Introductions.

Hybridchucks, rjohns39 and 007Sean like this.
  3. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Free Ranging

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    Regarding avoiding rejection letters, aside from writing a good book, grab your audience in the first 5 pages.

4. 007Sean

007Sean Addict

Oct 25, 2015
    South Central Texas
    Howdy:welcome:frow Happy:ya to have you join the family. Enjoy your time here at BYC! :)
    Best wishes with your writing endeavors.

rjohns39 and aringisthething like this.
  5. WhiteWyan

WhiteWyan Songster

May 17, 2017
    Ulster Park
  6. rjohns39

rjohns39 Addict

Aug 20, 2015
    Smith County, TN
    Hi and welcome to BYC :frow We're so happy you've decided to join us:ya

007Sean likes this.
  7. sourland

sourland Broody Magician

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Hopefully the information provided by @ChickenCanoe and @WhiteWyan will assist you in your process. Good luck.

rjohns39 likes this.
  8. KettermanHillCoop

KettermanHillCoop Crowing

Oct 23, 2017
    Pennsylvania
    This link will provide you with some Christian publishers. Do some research to find a good fit for you. I'm a ghostwriter, so I don't deal with any publishing issues directly.

Best of luck to you!

rjohns39 likes this.
  9. KettermanHillCoop

KettermanHillCoop Crowing

Oct 23, 2017
    Pennsylvania
    Where are you located? Depending on your location, you may be able to locate a small outfit that tailors to your Mennonite background. This publisher, would be great if you were in my neck of the woods. :)

Last edited: Feb 6, 2018
    rjohns39 likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: