THOUGHTS ON STORE BOUGHT PRE FAB COOPS?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by DJKW, Mar 15, 2017.

1. DJKW

DJKW New Egg

Mar 15, 2017
    i've recently purchased an aspen flat top chicken coop, and i've seen some bad reviews on it after purchasing, any one have experience with these pre fab units?

should i return it and build from scratch?

2. PD-Riverman

PD-Riverman Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2012
    Conway SC
    Yes!

3. DJKW

DJKW New Egg

Mar 15, 2017
    lol alright then

4. lutherpug

lutherpug Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 5, 2014
    Kansas City, MO
    If you can build a coop you will generally end up with something more appropriate for the day to day reality of having chickens. It's hard to give great advice without knowing more about where you are, how many birds you intend to keep, what you'll use for a run, urban/rural, etc, etc.

The main drawbacks to the pre fab coops is that they WAY overstate how many birds you can keep, they're not very sturdy, they're not very predator proof, and they don't have enough ventilation. That's not to say that you absolutely can't make one work if it is your only option but it generally is not ideal.

If you can give more info about where you are, what your plans are, etc people can give you better advice. I've only done this for a year but building my own coop was the smartest thing we've done so far.

5. DJKW

DJKW New Egg

Mar 15, 2017
    im in small town, have a decent sized back yard, only looking to have about 4 hens, 3 to start for sure live sort of close to neighbours so don't want to have something too big, im also very new to this

6. PD-Riverman

Jan 14, 2012
    Conway SC
    Do you realize you can build a coop out of free pallets and put it inside a used dog kennel---something like a 10x10x6ft tall. Add some deer netting across the top or screw together 2 or 3 pallets get some tin(free/used is good) and partly cover the top with tin. You can dress up the pallets if you want or forget it if you want---LOL. I pay around $100 for used 10x10x6ft kennels, free pallets, $10 for used tin, free roost poles out the woods and I can roost 12/15 hens and feed and water outside the coop. For $125 I got something strong, big, and my hens never complain.

7. DJKW

DJKW New Egg

Mar 15, 2017
    im also in canada and would need something insulated, another one of my concerns,

8. lutherpug

lutherpug Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 5, 2014
    Kansas City, MO
    I'll give you some advice from my own experience and more experienced people will certainly chime in here too-

If you plan to have 4 hens, don't start with 3. Adding a single new one to an existing flock of 3 will be more difficult than adding 2 or more. Keeping 4 chickens will almost certainly turn into a desire to keep 6, then 8, 12, etc......This is referred to as "chicken math" and it is REAL. I built my coop for 6, started with 3 and made it 7 months before I got 3 more. The next step is acreage. It can be very addictive.

Read, read, read, and read some more. Ask a lot of questions on the forums. The more you think about the the details (how will I collect eggs, how will I access the coop to clean it, etc) the better it will be. And you'll still want to change things when it is all said and done. I spent months pouring over the coop build pages on here and it was time well spent.

Assume that every night after you go to bed your coop will undergo a near constant attempt by critters wanting a free chicken dinner. Don't use chicken wire-use hardware cloth. Don't have any gaps larger than 1/4" to 1/2". Don't use simple latches-raccoons are smart little boogers.

Don't buy chicks until you have the coop well over 75% done. They grow so, so fast. You don't want to be up against a deadline with birds in your basement. Trust me :)

Read this article on ventilation. Even in Canada, I know this seems completely counterintuitive but it is really important. If you factor nothing else into your coop, factor this in. Also, consider chicken breeds that are known to be more appropriate in cold climates.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/...-go-out-there-and-cut-more-holes-in-your-coop

Most importantly, have fun! Chickens are great, I can't imagine my life without them.

9. PD-Riverman

Jan 14, 2012
    Conway SC
    OK--Location for sure helps---LOL. OK----being you are in Canada----you do need something warm/insulated. Build you something good!!

10. DJKW

DJKW New Egg

Mar 15, 2017
    i really appreciate this , thank you

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by