1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Thoughts on temporarily housing goldens with ducks?

Discussion in 'Pheasants and Partridge (Chukar)' started by trishmk, Jan 26, 2012.

1. trishmk

trishmk Out Of The Brooder

Sep 12, 2010
    Mid TN
    I've been interested in getting pheasants for quite awhile and as usually happens the opportunity to get a pair of goldens came up before their enclosure is ready. Lots of weather delays etc - looks like it will be a at least a couple of weeks before it's ready for the birds. I've got them in a 48"x30"x38" wire kennel for now - they are doing ok but I know they would prefer some more space. I've got a 14' Octagon Aviary with a pair each of wood ducks, hooded mergansers and calls. A good portion of the aviary is a central pond... I know there is enough room for the pheasants and although housing with ducks might not be ideal I'd like to give them more room. I'm concerned mostly about the pond - they are pretty flighty.... if they get themselves into it would they be able to get out?
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  2. destinduck

destinduck obsessed with "ducks"

Mar 20, 2008
    n.w.FLORIDA
    It looks like they could get out. I have kept a trio of red goldens in my duck pen for years . I have kiddie pools. I have never had a problem with adult birds but have lost a coupla youngsters growing out. If They had a way to walk out they would have made it.

1 person likes this.
  3. trishmk

Sep 12, 2010
    Mid TN
    Maybe I should put in some sort of ramp just in case. Weather looks good for the weekend so I think I'll give it a try. Thanks!

4. Lophura

Lophura Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2008
    Holden, Missouri
    Agree with destinduck, you should be fine. Over the years at home & in public collections, I've worked/kept galliformes with waterfowl together. Never had any problems. Most recently, 2009, Swinhoe with various ducks in a large planted aviary.

Follow some of Monte's posts http://www.gbwf.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=6509 He has several photos both on the new forum & old with mixed species aviaries.

Dan

Last edited: Jan 27, 2012
  5. trishmk

Sep 12, 2010
    Mid TN
    Thanks for the link, Dan. Great site!

6. PetersonD

PetersonD Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 24, 2009
    That's a nice area for your birds... I agree the goldens should do okay in there... How do you supply water for your pond and does it have a drain?

7. trishmk

Sep 12, 2010
    Mid TN
    Thanks! My husband built it for me. The pond has a 2" (maybe 3"?) drain -the PVC comes out down the hill a bit - I just open a valve and it dumps out. I then hose it out and refill - the big rock in the middle there acts as a waterfall - it has fresh water hooked to it and also has a recirculating line but I haven't hooked a pump up to it yet. I generally clean once a week but during the hot part of the summer it needs it every few days.

The goldens have been in there a few days now and seem to be doing well.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by