Thoughts on the breed?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Naptown Chicks, Apr 6, 2012.

1. Naptown Chicks

Naptown Chicks Out Of The Brooder

Apr 1, 2012
    Indianapolis
    My Coop
    You can see her fuzzy feet, and you can kind of see some dark feathers in her wing. When her wings are open, though, the feathers (and there are only a few of them) look nearly black.

[​IMG]

And these are BPRs, right?

[​IMG]

2. JerseyGiantfolk

JerseyGiantfolk Overrun With Chickens

Jan 12, 2012
    The little ones in the second picture, look Dominique's or Barred Rocks.

3. wackyChris16

wackyChris16 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 3, 2012
    Did you get these chicks from a feed store? If so, what were you told their breeds were?

4. Naptown Chicks

Apr 1, 2012
    Indianapolis
    My Coop
    With the help of Google Images, I think the little yellow one might be a Blue Wheaten Ameraucana. Thoughts?

5. akcountrygrrl

akcountrygrrl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2010
    Nenana, AK
    Ameraucanas don't have feathered legs. What kind of comb does it have? Does it have extra toes? Does it have a beard/muffs? Single comb, 4 toes, and no beard/muff would be a Cochin. Pea comb, 4 toes, and no beard/muff would be a Brahma. Single comb, 5 toes, and beard/muff would be a Faverolle.

On the others, if they have single combs and yellow legs (with or without a dark wash on the front) then they should be barred Rocks. If they have a single comb with pink or white legs (with or without dark wash) then you have cuckoo Marans. If they have a rose comb then you have Dominiques.

6. BirdyMe

BirdyMe Chillin' With My Peeps

The first one looks a lot like my Light Brahma did. A cutie. :)

7. Naptown Chicks

Apr 1, 2012
    Indianapolis
    My Coop
    Ooh! I'll have to give their combs a good study tomorrow . . . at a week old, should I already be able to tell what sort of comb it will have? I ordered from Randall Burkey, but I wanted a surprise so I just got an assorted bunch. The options (as far as I can tell) are: ameraucana, barred rocks, black australorp, buff orpington, rhode island red, silver laced wyandotte and white plymouth rock. BUT, the pics of the Brahma do look the same vis-a-vis the legs. What close-up pics would help you? I was wanting breed to be a surprise, but this is fun :)

8. Naptown Chicks

Apr 1, 2012
    Indianapolis
    My Coop
    Here are some more hints . . . Oh! And I forgot to say that the black ones have yellow bellies.

[​IMG][​IMG] (sorry it's not better, she is SO jumpy!)
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

9. akcountrygrrl

akcountrygrrl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2010
    Nenana, AK
    Single combs on the blacks so probably barred Rocks. Looks like a pea comb on the light colored one so I would lean toward Brahma.

10. Naptown Chicks

Apr 1, 2012
    Indianapolis
    My Coop
    Here's a better pic . . . [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by