Thoughts on the Flat panel heaters for the coop?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by XSCHICKS, Nov 17, 2014.

1. XSCHICKS

XSCHICKS Out Of The Brooder

Aug 31, 2014
    NH
    Does any one have suggestions, or experience on the flat panel wall heaters? Looking to get one just so the water cooler & nipples don't freeze. Looking at a cozy legs one on amazon either 150 watt or 400 watt. Not sure the 150Watt would be enough? My coop is about 8X6 with high ceilings its a shed.

Found what I think is the same product on amazon compare to the one I found on shop the coop, any suggestions would be helpful :)

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00865JSEU...UTF8&colid=26RN6RVOGB3V&coliid=I2I2JZUBZQE2TG

http://www.amazon.com/Cozy-Heater-4...16253598&sr=1-1&keywords=cozy+heater+400+watt

http://www.shopthecoop.com/product/flat-panel-coop-heaters-for-pets.html

2. XSCHICKS

Aug 31, 2014
    NH
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. mariacp

mariacp Out Of The Brooder

Oct 24, 2014
    Does it get so cold there you have to heat your chicken coop? Are they fancy chickens? In all my years of owning chickens, in two different winter climates, I have never had to heat my chicken coop.

Temperatures get down below 0 for weeks at a time, and never did we heat the coop, all the chickens survived and continued to lay eggs. The waterers did require a heat coil, but that is to be expected.

It seems to me, as long as your birds have a place to escape the wind, rain, and other elements, they will be fine on their own.

Their are many cold hearty varieties as well if you require a more sturdy bird.

4. XSCHICKS

Aug 31, 2014
    NH
    They are all cold Hearty breeds I think? This is my first year with the ladies, I have 10 3-Light Brahmas, 3 Easter Eggers, 3 Barred Rocks, and 1 Golden Comet I was told. They are about 13 weeks old it is pretty cold already about 20 degrees or slightly lower and I had already decided that I was NOT going to necessarily "Heat" the Coop as they are doing well already and I compare it to blanketing horses or not blanketing for the winter.

I think with all the research I have done it is healthier and safer to not Heat the coop but I hit the wall this week when there water supply "an igloo lg cooler w/ the bright tap attachment" froze!! I felt so bad saturday morning I went to let them out and checked and they where looking at me like hey lady!! what the heck!!! They all went around the nice warm regular plastic gallon waterer I put out for them going on and on like I was cruela davil!!

so now I am faced with the decision to invest in a heated waterer without nipples or try the flat panel heater to keep it warm enough that the bright tap one I already have does not freeze. My Niebor's have one for there coop and it does a great job just keeping it above freezing but I'm torn??

New Hampshire winters are a funny thing like all around New England It can be freezing cold for weeks or have a 50 degree day in the middle of the winter so I guess we just hang in there and see what comes LOL!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by