Thoughts On the Inaugeration

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by tackyrama, Jan 19, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tackyrama

tackyrama Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 14, 2008
    Central Minnesota USA
    On the eve of Obama's inaugeration I am very proud that our nation has been able to elect a black man as president. It says good things about our country.

Our country's black's have every right to be proud and joyful. This event would have been utterly impossible until very recently in our history. I am a student of the American Civil War and aside from the military part of it the plight of the freed blacks has been grossly overlooked. As Federal troops pushed southward tens of thousands of blacks were freed from their masters. Our government had no policy for them at first and only haphazardly organized to care for the refugees. General Grant was one of the most enlightened of all federal authorities. He organized for relief, employment and enlistment of the freed blacks. Even with the help and compassion of many white citizens many thousandsof blacks lived in squalor beyond our present undestanding. General Grant even promised enlisted blacks that if they fought well he would give them the right to vote. This promise could not be kept and as we all know did not come about for over 100 years.

We have come a long way as a nation and as a people and I am bursting with pride!

Last edited: Jan 19, 2009
  2. HorseFeathers

HorseFeathers Frazzled

Apr 2, 2008
    Southern Maine
    [​IMG] they're letting us watch the swearing in during school but that's it. [​IMG] My friend is homeschooled and a mego-Obama-supporter and is doing a report on it or something. She was like [​IMG]!!!

3. EllyMae

EllyMae Chillin' With My Peeps

My husband and daughter are there in DC now...I was kind of worried about them going up there because you never know when some nut case might try something. I just talked to them a while ago and they were really having a great time. My daughter said they have met some really interesting people from so many different states.

4. tackyrama

Aug 14, 2008
    Central Minnesota USA
    Love your sketches envirogirl!

5. HorseFeathers

HorseFeathers Frazzled

Apr 2, 2008
    Southern Maine
    Why thank you!

6. I have WHAT in my yard?

I have WHAT in my yard? Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2008
    Eggberg, PA
    My kids are getting to watch it at school - I'll be teaching but the wrong subject!!! So, I'll miss it, but I guarantee you I'll be taping and talking about it!

I'm very excited about this. I think this is a huge moment for this nation.

I don't think there is much he can do to stop what is coming next for our economy - that train has left the station - hopefully he can mitigate the fall out.

7. tackyrama

Aug 14, 2008
    Central Minnesota USA
    I have WHAT in my yard? :

My kids are getting to watch it at school - I'll be teaching but the wrong subject!!! So, I'll miss it, but I guarantee you I'll be taping and talking about it!

I'm very excited about this. I think this is a huge moment for this nation.

I don't think there is much he can do to stop what is coming next for our economy - that train has left the station - hopefully he can mitigate the fall out.

I asked a black man I chanced to meet what he thought about Obama. His reply "He's just a another man". True but also very untrue. I actually did not vote for him but only because I didn't think him the right man (Oops - person) for the job. He will need a lot of help.​

Last edited: Jan 19, 2009
  8. toletiquesbysam

toletiquesbysam Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2008
    Nebraska
    I'm tired of it already and can't begin to imagine how much MONEY they are spending for it! Ridiculous!! - justmy2cents!

9. EllyMae

EllyMae Chillin' With My Peeps

My DH is taking my daughter to the Kids Inaugural Concert tonight, she loves the Jonas Bros so he will probably have a crazy screaming teen on his hands, lol.

10. WalkingWolf

WalkingWolf Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2009
    North Carolina
    Quote:What he said...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by