Thoughts on these RAW dog food recipes

Weeg

Enabler
Jul 1, 2020
Small town in Western Washington
My Coop
My Coop
Hello all! I've been feeding my dogs a homemade raw diet for the last 12 months plus. In that time I've been using these recipes for my dogs. I liked them, read a couple of the sites articles on formulating my own recipes, but I couldn't quite wrap my brain around the %'s of everything. When I realized they had pre-formulated recipes, I jumped right on it.
Now a friend of mine has asked me to help her formulate/find recipes for her toy poodle. I figured I would choose the best of these recipes for her, and send her some. It got me thinking that I better get a second pare of eyes on the recipes that I'm going to recommend. According to the site they are approved by the AAFCO for dogs, is that all I need to know? Our vet thinks our dogs look great, so I'm obviously doing something right, but I figured I would double check.
Thanks guys! The recipes are below. They continue onto the next page as well.
https://www.dogsnaturallymagazine.c...34.1904498986.1648153915-851205747.1648153915

Can I ask... what is it about a raw diet that you consider superior to traditional?
Genuinely curious.
I've researched a little about it myself, but have decided against it. The risks seem too great and any benefits only anecdotal at this point as no major studies have been conducted.

Can I ask... what is it about a raw diet that you consider superior to traditional?
Genuinely curious.
I've researched a little about it myself, but have decided against it. The risks seem too great and any benefits only anecdotal at this point as no major studies have been conducted.
I actually think the risks are very slim. If you properly balance the diet, or purchase commercial raw, and are cautious about handling it etc, I think the risks are minimal.

Raw diet isn't cooked, and cooking produces cariogenic cells which cause cancer in dogs. Kibble also has lots of added ingredients that can be really hard on a dogs immune system. Since the meat in dog food is usually leftovers, scraps, or animals found dead in commercial farms, its cooked at very high pressure so it looses all the nutrients. Then company has to add synthetic nutrients back in because the meat is basically a filler at that point.
I could go on for a while haha!

Raw decreases inflammation, boosts the immune system, promotes gut, teeth, and coat health. Also increases energy. I'd be happy to share some of the articles I've read, I stand by raw, I think it is very superior to kibble and wouldn't go back. :)

I actually think the risks are very slim. If you properly balance the diet, or purchase commercial raw, and are cautious about handling it etc, I think the risks are minimal.

Raw diet isn't cooked, and cooking produces cariogenic cells which cause cancer in dogs. Kibble also has lots of added ingredients that can be really hard on a dogs immune system. Since the meat in dog food is usually leftovers, scraps, or animals found dead in commercial farms, its cooked at very high pressure so it looses all the nutrients. Then company has to add synthetic nutrients back in because the meat is basically a filler at that point.

Raw decreases inflammation, boosts the immune system, promotes gut, teeth, and coat health. Also increases energy. I'd be happy to share some of the articles I've read, I stand by raw, I think it is very superior to kibble and wouldn't go back. :)
Thanks for the reply.
Whatever works for you!

I would really like to raw feed our dogs, but I don't think I could find enough variety of cuts where I am, were you able to get everything you needed? (sorry for taking your thread kinda off topic)

I would really like to raw feed our dogs, but I don't think I could find enough variety of cuts where I am, were you able to get everything you needed? (sorry for taking your thread kinda off topic)
No problem! I'm happy to answer any questions.
I was able to find everything except for chicken necks. I was able to replace that with bone meal.
I typically use the turkey recipe, and can source ground turkey, additional eggs when necessary, from our grocery store. I can get organs (heart and liver) from local farmers. I don't worry to much about the animal that the organs come from unless specified in the recipe. I have contacts with my local beef, and poultry farmers. Also have a friend who buthcers lambs and chickens that I have contacts with for organs. I get heart and liver and any other organs they harvested from those animals they need to get rid of.
I think that the link I provided has a lot of different proteins to choose from which gives a lot of variety, and options.
I hope that helps!

I wish I could help but the percentages are over my.head too lol. I feed whole raw prey like entire chickens with organs, whole quail...I'll be trying to get my hands on rabbit. I do feed treats like chicken feet, pig tails, turkey necks...whatever my local grocery store has at the time.

I wish I could help but the percentages are over my.head too lol. I feed whole raw prey like entire chickens with organs, whole quail...I'll be trying to get my hands on rabbit. I do feed treats like chicken feet, pig tails, turkey necks...whatever my local grocery store has at the time.
Definitely. I think these recipes are setup with similar percentages, though I was to concerned about calculating everything wrong, so don't have the know how to do it myself. :p
I think I'll just stick with them. My dogs have been eating it for a while, and at our last vet appointment our vet gave us the all clear, and said they looked good.
Thanks for the help anyway. :)

Back
Top Bottom