Thoughts on this hen?

heather134

Chirping
Jan 9, 2021
Indiana
I know it's probably a long shot, but any ideas of what's wrong with my hen? She's lethargic, purple comb (could be frostbite from the really bad winter - but it came on suddenly even though weather has only dropped to the 30s lately), falling asleep standing up.
Two days ago all my hens were fine, I randomly checked them when I clean the coop. No other hens seem ill.
She doesn't seem like she's lost any weight, but noticed this morning that she was falling asleep by the coop door even though the other hens were bumping into her pushing her aside. She's probably 4-5 years old, usually one of my best layers and strongest hens. I just let everyone out into the yard and while the others are scratching and exploring, she walked very slowly to the middle of the yard and fell asleep standing up again. Can't really tell how her poop is - she has a lot of yellow/greenish poop stuck to her feathers but that's about it. Not really unusual though - others have looked similar to that in the past and have been perfectly fine.
They all get oyster shells in a separate bowl, they have Dumor layer feed, they get scratch in the morning and some scraps - the latest was some stale (not moldy) bread.
Unfortunately I can't separate her right now because our chicks are using our dog crate and I have nowhere else to put her.
Is "wait and see" probably the best approach?

i7CbrbsEzLV0Q9TpCMBMRznL5qzF7yiLhOoHoTUWWpAwoSNRYVUIeZFhWetJS2tzkQR82WgiagX_UnDrqBmzcp-uRa1WtGMwSLdY0prFeUM24dNUsk2W6fzro5fZCB0dS6szhWfGNIjEN5PUUhKiIN3LaJIzN36S6g4nRZE2rKufFstVC86zmg6TVui74AFCaKNnY6PywS_xKeQv76mkTwhmtrRyriLDwbUntQXi-LDy-IV6MrDIEFfaG-iOgRzDT73m3v2qktGKjyKJ1PiMj-2v_VVwT7PEkO6huExRvvjeENqdLh4X_41IeT5IWdNT5G2qsEv1MLmGvm0xj5uzz_oF7e-hiz8777gST26gqIFHTxdFKNj85Ora35T6zFqaEltfQ7pt1pQXY5wuTAOAPUFwWpRFRrCTUVi0DdPg-K7ecSVEMklJsnezgSbIehMkpccRPD9IsTrL-vb6mZjCRJO942q43hv10kntWy1HmybjId8PbwSaTlt-r6F4yUYkJ7gsNiJoSnkVkAL7G085u54OliDi_MzfjxwbaW6gw2cjenKOKCYBBmHcbWsbF3-ySp-JbX_lfP7vALTToOVjvYet-dfXnl0zKvX6z4hAbIeB3qPYTpB2UH_VBDB5cLkYDB_aYgAKQPYnzRd5C9QEtK2DCO4_to-Q6iA-YilpwJ-EET8SBECwkV6bF3w-92Bw86A2plAWvBYE-03d4RRwPZ3r=w1070-h1426-no

I know it's probably a long shot, but any ideas of what's wrong with my hen? She's lethargic, purple comb (could be frostbite from the really bad winter - but it came on suddenly even though weather has only dropped to the 30s lately), falling asleep standing up.
Two days ago all my hens were fine, I randomly checked them when I clean the coop. No other hens seem ill.
She doesn't seem like she's lost any weight, but noticed this morning that she was falling asleep by the coop door even though the other hens were bumping into her pushing her aside. She's probably 4-5 years old, usually one of my best layers and strongest hens. I just let everyone out into the yard and while the others are scratching and exploring, she walked very slowly to the middle of the yard and fell asleep standing up again. Can't really tell how her poop is - she has a lot of yellow/greenish poop stuck to her feathers but that's about it. Not really unusual though - others have looked similar to that in the past and have been perfectly fine.
They all get oyster shells in a separate bowl, they have Dumor layer feed, they get scratch in the morning and some scraps - the latest was some stale (not moldy) bread.
Unfortunately I can't separate her right now because our chicks are using our dog crate and I have nowhere else to put her.
Is "wait and see" probably the best approach?

i7CbrbsEzLV0Q9TpCMBMRznL5qzF7yiLhOoHoTUWWpAwoSNRYVUIeZFhWetJS2tzkQR82WgiagX_UnDrqBmzcp-uRa1WtGMwSLdY0prFeUM24dNUsk2W6fzro5fZCB0dS6szhWfGNIjEN5PUUhKiIN3LaJIzN36S6g4nRZE2rKufFstVC86zmg6TVui74AFCaKNnY6PywS_xKeQv76mkTwhmtrRyriLDwbUntQXi-LDy-IV6MrDIEFfaG-iOgRzDT73m3v2qktGKjyKJ1PiMj-2v_VVwT7PEkO6huExRvvjeENqdLh4X_41IeT5IWdNT5G2qsEv1MLmGvm0xj5uzz_oF7e-hiz8777gST26gqIFHTxdFKNj85Ora35T6zFqaEltfQ7pt1pQXY5wuTAOAPUFwWpRFRrCTUVi0DdPg-K7ecSVEMklJsnezgSbIehMkpccRPD9IsTrL-vb6mZjCRJO942q43hv10kntWy1HmybjId8PbwSaTlt-r6F4yUYkJ7gsNiJoSnkVkAL7G085u54OliDi_MzfjxwbaW6gw2cjenKOKCYBBmHcbWsbF3-ySp-JbX_lfP7vALTToOVjvYet-dfXnl0zKvX6z4hAbIeB3qPYTpB2UH_VBDB5cLkYDB_aYgAKQPYnzRd5C9QEtK2DCO4_to-Q6iA-YilpwJ-EET8SBECwkV6bF3w-92Bw86A2plAWvBYE-03d4RRwPZ3r=w1070-h1426-no
I think frost bite but might be something else, what breed is she?

She doesn't look very well at all. Can you put her in a bathroom on some towels? Unlikely she will move about very much. In her condition she's at risk of being attacked by others.
Do you know when she actually last laid? Feel her abdomen, to see if it feels bloated at all. Is her crop empty, full, squishy, etc? See if you can get her to drink some fluids, see if those pass or just sit in her crop. Try to get a better look at droppings. The green could be from not eating, or it could be from infection. At this age, reproductive problems are not uncommon.

She doesn't look very well at all. Can you put her in a bathroom on some towels? Unlikely she will move about very much. In her condition she's at risk of being attacked by others.
Do you know when she actually last laid? Feel her abdomen, to see if it feels bloated at all. Is her crop empty, full, squishy, etc? See if you can get her to drink some fluids, see if those pass or just sit in her crop. Try to get a better look at droppings. The green could be from not eating, or it could be from infection. At this age, reproductive problems are not uncommon.
Agreed

That looks like a dead chicken. The hunched shoulders, standing around, and comb going dark like that are all signs I recognize as "chicken dying". If she were mine I would wait and see, and not expect much. Then after she died I would clean the coop thoroughly and dose everyone with corid for good measure. Sorry if she's your favorite.

Thanks everyone.
Don't know what kind she is - we inherited them from neighbors and they couldn't recall her breed. We think Rhode Island Red but not positive.
I'm not sure what I'm trying to feel in her crop! But it doesn't seem different than the other hens. Her abdomen (?) seems more bloated than the other hens but it's the same level of squishiness (no hard areas). I think she laid on Saturday. We had four brown eggs that day and two the next morning, and have six brown-laying hens. But they're all really slow producers now vs a year ago (old birds).
The other hens are pretty much avoiding her. We had one die of old age more than a year ago and they did exactly the same thing, staying clear while she passed away.

More than anything I'm concerned that whatever this is might infect the others. We were planning to introduce our chicks to the flock in the next two weeks but probably should delay that until we can thoroughly scrub the coop.

Thanks everyone.
Don't know what kind she is - we inherited them from neighbors and they couldn't recall her breed. We think Rhode Island Red but not positive.
I'm not sure what I'm trying to feel in her crop! But it doesn't seem different than the other hens. Her abdomen (?) seems more bloated than the other hens but it's the same level of squishiness (no hard areas). I think she laid on Saturday. We had four brown eggs that day and two the next morning, and have six brown-laying hens. But they're all really slow producers now vs a year ago (old birds).
The other hens are pretty much avoiding her. We had one die of old age more than a year ago and they did exactly the same thing, staying clear while she passed away.

More than anything I'm concerned that whatever this is might infect the others. We were planning to introduce our chicks to the flock in the next two weeks but probably should delay that until we can thoroughly scrub the coop.
She looks to be a golden comet but that’s just my guess, I have 3 and they’re real sweethearts. I would clean the coop and if possible maybe give her a quiet place. Again, I’m sorry. :(

Here's an additional wrinkle. One of our flock is being re-homed to a neighbor this weekend. Should I delay that until I can make sure that one is healthy? I'd hate to spread something to another coop.

Back
Top Bottom