thoughts on this poop? coccidiosis?

zenstarling

Songster
Jan 17, 2022
Connecticut
4E550BA6-FBD7-4F87-8328-9E2BE25FA123.jpeg
79A64427-1BAD-45D4-8857-B876EEEBAE23.jpeg
B14A5A81-F05A-443A-A387-F6B6F6658C36.jpeg

I found this in the brooder this morning. my chicks are about 5 weeks old.

I have posted before asking this question but this time the redness seems more liquidy than the past times I now recognize as intestinal lining.

so I’ve been looking all morning and I cannot find another poop like this. I cleaned out the brooder, I’ve been spending time with the chicks in their run and watching them in the act of pooping — all normal solid brown turds. I scoured the whole run (as well as all the shavings in the brooder from overnight) and there is nothing else like that.

I’ve been sitting with them and everyone is active, engaged, curious, pecking and scratching, eating and drinking, flapping and darting around, chasing bugs, pecking at my raincoat zippers, etc etc. I’m home with kids full time and have taken great care to be here to refresh their water multiple times a day, clean the waterers daily, refresh and change the brooder bedding regularly, etc. the chicks spend full days outside and have been for weeks, with lots of exposure to the dirt and grass here, dustbathing, foraging.

I understand coccidiosis can hit chicks hard and unexpectedly, but I’m wondering if someone was infected, would there be more than one suspicious poop found over a few hours? along with off behavior?

thanks!

Still appears to be intestinal lining. A typical bloody coccidiosis poop literally looks like a splat of clotting blood. Continue to keep an eye on their behavior and if you see any other signs of symptoms (most commonly lethargy, or much bloodier poops) begin treating the entire flock with Corid.
thanks @rosemarythyme I appreciate your assessment! helps me learn what to look for!

if someone was infected, would there be more than one suspicious poop found over a few hours? along with off behavior?
Not sure how many you have but I had 5 and at 5 weeks only 1 of them had suspect poo and was also acting lethargic and puffed out. The behavior actually showed up before the red and then yellow poo but I got immediately on it with Corid. I dosed (drench,) the one chick individually but treated all 5 with liquid Corid in water. The best advice I got was from Coach723 !! https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...suspect-coccidiosis-5-week-old-chick.1515375/
I followed these instructions: https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/corid-oral-drench-instructions.1211991/
The sick baby is now healthy and fully recovered and others are great too! I'm so grateful to Coach723 for helping me through it! Also many other helpful people encouraged me to do the Corid treatment even if I wasn't 100% sure as it can't hurt them and I was not going to bring a fecal into a vet. I'm just glad I caught it early like you will be if indeed this is coccidiosis.

Not sure how many you have but I had 5 and at 5 weeks only 1 of them had suspect poo and was also acting lethargic and puffed out. The behavior actually showed up before the red and then yellow poo but I got immediately on it with Corid. I dosed (drench,) the one chick individually but treated all 5 with liquid Corid in water. The best advice I got was from Coach723 !! https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...suspect-coccidiosis-5-week-old-chick.1515375/
I followed these instructions: https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/corid-oral-drench-instructions.1211991/
The sick baby is now healthy and fully recovered and others are great too! I'm so grateful to Coach723 for helping me through it! Also many other helpful people encouraged me to do the Corid treatment even if I wasn't 100% sure as it can't hurt them and I was not going to bring a fecal into a vet. I'm just glad I caught it early like you will be if indeed this is coccidiosis.
thanks for taking the time to write this! very helpful experience and links, thank you!

View attachment 3127112View attachment 3127111View attachment 3127113

I found this in the brooder this morning. my chicks are about 5 weeks old.

I have posted before asking this question but this time the redness seems more liquidy than the past times I now recognize as intestinal lining.

so I’ve been looking all morning and I cannot find another poop like this. I cleaned out the brooder, I’ve been spending time with the chicks in their run and watching them in the act of pooping — all normal solid brown turds. I scoured the whole run (as well as all the shavings in the brooder from overnight) and there is nothing else like that.

I’ve been sitting with them and everyone is active, engaged, curious, pecking and scratching, eating and drinking, flapping and darting around, chasing bugs, pecking at my raincoat zippers, etc etc. I’m home with kids full time and have taken great care to be here to refresh their water multiple times a day, clean the waterers daily, refresh and change the brooder bedding regularly, etc. the chicks spend full days outside and have been for weeks, with lots of exposure to the dirt and grass here, dustbathing, foraging.

I understand coccidiosis can hit chicks hard and unexpectedly, but I’m wondering if someone was infected, would there be more than one suspicious poop found over a few hours? along with off behavior?

thanks!
I have 3 1/2 week old chicks and found this this morning. Everyone seems fine. I’m hoping it’s also intestinal lining. I checked them underneath and saw no blood. Here’s a pic of what I found and also my new trio.

Attachments

• 8AA8E1EA-A33F-4FB0-84C3-60B4A2A1C2C0.jpeg
    8AA8E1EA-A33F-4FB0-84C3-60B4A2A1C2C0.jpeg
    342.2 KB · Views: 11
  • B911EA2B-6363-40C2-A31B-DDB28D69CD5A.jpeg
    B911EA2B-6363-40C2-A31B-DDB28D69CD5A.jpeg
    546 KB · Views: 11
I have 3 1/2 week old chicks and found this this morning. Everyone seems fine. I’m hoping it’s also intestinal lining. I checked them underneath and saw no blood. Here’s a pic of what I found and also my new trio.
Yes it looks like lining. Just keep an eye on their behavior and activity level and if it doesn't change from typical chick behavior, you should be good.

I agree with those who said to look at other signs to confirm. That hunched, head tucked, tail down look is never good. Being unable to stand or being wobbly when walking are very bad and Amprolium is in order, stat. The bloody poop and/or poop that’s kind of mucusy and sticking to their rear end is almost a secondary sign that only appears after it’s progressed. I lost a 7wk old chick last week who had been battling an eye infection or something already (he literally laid down and died), but the others perked up by the next morning after Amprolium in their water. It did come on really quickly, although I could have missed some lethargy since there are two dozen babies in that batch. My first sign something was amiss was staggering out of the coop and the one that died did not want to get up at all. I carried him to water (not medicated yet bc I didn’t know) and he drank a little and then laid down. If they’re laying or standing around, that’s a sign something is wrong. It’s good to get a complete picture of behavior as well as any clinical signs of illness.

Back
Top Bottom