Thoughts on this?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by kidfarmer, Apr 28, 2016.

1. kidfarmer

kidfarmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2015
    Massachusetts
    [​IMG]
    Does anyone know if these coops are good? I have 8 chickens and it says on their website that you can buy two and attach them together to create more space for 8+, not sure if this is the one I will want to go with.:idunno

2. ejcrist

ejcrist Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2015
    Desert Hills, AZ
    Well, it looks pretty good but I don't know the dimensions. Personally I elected to build rather than buy because everything I looked at was either way too expensive or way too small for the number of birds I wanted. Just my opinion but as a general rule I think all pre-fab coops are too small unless you're only raising a very small flock. Building the size coop and run I wanted (8'X8'X7' high coop and 8'X25'X8' high run) wasn't cheap either but the gals are happy and safe, and it's withstood some pretty severe weather so I'm happy too.

3. kidfarmer

Mar 29, 2015
    Massachusetts
    One of these coops has the dimensions of 28 x 26 1/5 x 43 and you can add as needed.

4. ejcrist

Oct 16, 2015
    Desert Hills, AZ
    Are the birds you're planning to get average size, bantams, or very large like Jersey Giants? Also will they be free ranging during the day or are you planning to attach a run? If attaching a run will it be covered or not? Sorry for all the questions but since you're in MA I know you get a fair amount of precipitation so the birds will be cooped up inside probably a day or two per week on average due to rain unless you have other cover they can sit it out under. If they don't have other cover they'll be inside during inclement weather, and in that case it'd be cramped for more than 2-3 average sized birds I'd think. But if they have other cover outside the coop they can get to, and you're going to attach another coop, then you might be ok. I don't know the cost or if that's a factor but I'm guessing it's at least $400 or so each. So, I guess it all depends on whether or not they can stay dry outside the coop(s). I don't know if you considered building a coop or not but you could build a coop from scratch that's 6'X6' (for a little over 4 square feet per bird) for the same price or maybe even less if you have some materials laying around. The nice thing about building it yourself is you can make exactly what you want/need, and make it much better quality than the prefab stuff. I know building isn't for everyone and your time is certainly valuable so I understand if you didn't want to go that route.

5. Folly's place

Folly's place Chicken Obsessed

Sep 13, 2011
    southern Michigan
    Don't buy it! Too small, no ventilation, difficult to clean, not sturdy enough. A garden shed type structure is a much better choice, or even a walk-in child's playhouse. Eight standard birds need AT LEAST 64 sq. ft., and bigger is always better. Mary

6. Kasilofchrisn

Kasilofchrisn Out Of The Brooder

Apr 25, 2016
    Kenai peninsula Alaska
    I looked at some similar prefab coops locally and decided they would not be suitable for me.
    But I have friends who are carpenters and own all the necessary tools.
    So I gave one of them my basic design ideas and he gave me a materials list.
    Today he brought over his tools and we are building it together.
    I will get the type and size coop I need. It will be a quality coop and well insulated for our Alaska winters.
    If you have any friends/relatives who are carpenters and have tools that may be a better option.

7. Swurts

Swurts Out Of The Brooder

Apr 28, 2016
    Mid Illinois
    I bought a prefab coop. Two actually. They were discontinued at our local Rural King. I got them for less than $100 for both. Had I paid anymore for them I would have been very disappointed. They sell for over $300 at Home Depot. They wouldn't be anywhere near that quality. I did a lot of modifying and reinforcing. I also added on a very large run since they can't free range because we have so many hawks. If you have the money I would suggest building. If not then go ahead and get one but with the expectation of having to fix it up.[​IMG]
    This pic is one like I bought.

8. kidfarmer

Mar 29, 2015
    Massachusetts
    The girls will be in the run we already have and they will be able to hide under the coops if it does rain. The only time they might spend inside is laying an egg or sleeping otherwise they are pretty much outside regardless of the weather conditions. We built our first coop but we don't have time to build another.

9. kidfarmer

Mar 29, 2015
    Massachusetts
    Thanks for the info will take that into consideration

10. ejcrist

Oct 16, 2015
    Desert Hills, AZ
    It might work in a pinch since they'll only use it for sleeping and laying but I'm kinda in the same camp as Folly's Place in that a pre-fab shed would be a much better choice.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by