Thougthts on Vinyl floors

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by chicksak, Aug 28, 2013.

1. chicksak

chicksak Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2013
    Wasilla, AK
    Our coop flooring is still wood and we need to seal it or do something. Just not sure what that something is, any suggestions? Was thinking of vinyl flooring but am a little leery. We put vinyl in the brooder as the girls got older and they slid and slipped all the time. We ended up having to use twice as much wood shavings then we did previously to try and make it not so slippery and someone getting hurt. Obviously they are older and heavier now, but not sure that it would make that big of a difference.

What is everyone else using?
    Thanks

2. kbh82310

kbh82310 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2013
    Nc
    My husband put rubber down. His dad owns a roofing business and my hubby does rubber roofing on the side for him once in awhile & he used the rubber he would use on the roof and I just put sand down. He also used the same for my playpen/brooder & it's the easiest clean up. Plus no glue, he just used nails.

3. chicksak

Apr 25, 2013
    Wasilla, AK
    Never thought of rubber, will have to go check that out. Thanks

4. OScarlet

OScarlet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2013
    I found a fake wood vinyl offcut that had heavy texturing on it, my babes didn't have a problem with it even before we put litter down.

5. JackE

JackE Overrun With Chickens

Apr 26, 2010
    North Eastern Md.
    Blackjack#57 rubberized roof coat, from Lowes. The best coop floor product you can get. It totally seals all floorboard joints, along with the gap where the walls meet the floor. It becomes part of the floor, nothing can get under it like with vinyl or linoleum. It is not slippery, and it's impervious to the worst that chickens can dish out. I've had this stuff down in my coop over 31/2 yrs, and it looks as good as the day I put it down.

1 person likes this.
  6. bluebirdnanny

bluebirdnanny Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 16, 2013
    Thanks for posting that Jack. I know now what I will use. I assume I can also use it to seal the osb I used for roof? Well the front roof deck is up ...waiting for help on back part.

I was considering vinyl too.

7. chicksak

Apr 25, 2013
    Wasilla, AK
    Thank you for the information. Do the birds not peck at it and ingest any of it?

8. JackE

Apr 26, 2010
    North Eastern Md.
    They can peck and scratch at this stuff till doomsday, and they won't make a mark in it. It ain't bulletproof, but it sure is chickenproof.

9. mimischicksnat

mimischicksnat Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2014
    SW PA
    Old Post, I know But how easy is this to clean?

10. JackE

Apr 26, 2010
    North Eastern Md.
    I'd say it's as easy as it can be. I clean my coop out twice a year. I use an old coal shovel, and scoop out everything into a cart. If I'm feeling extra energetic, I'll sweep it out with a broom. That's it, I don't mess around with mopping it. I could if I wanted, but I don't, no need.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by