Thousand Dollar Egg

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Kentucky, Aug 27, 2008.

1. Kentucky

Kentucky Out Of The Brooder

Apr 16, 2008
    Today, 8/27 one of the wife's chickens laid the first egg. Now, if I were to add up the expense of the coup, pen, equipment, electric bill, chicken feed, not counting labor I would estimate that this "first" beautiful pale blue egg has a net cost of roughly $1000.

Now, I am fairly confident that when all six(6) of the wife's hens begin to lay, the cost in time should become affordable to anyone who wishes to purchase one of those precious heirlooms.

Kentucky

2. redoak

redoak Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2008
    Russia, NY
    Congrats on your 1st egg. I'm up to about 40 eggs, so down to about $10 per egg. [​IMG]

3. sweetshoplady

sweetshoplady Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2008
    Venice, Florida
    Congrats on your first egg. I'm sure that those precious hens will pay for themselves, in time. Or at least keep themselves in feed and shavings. [​IMG]

And the excitement of finding that precious heirloom this morning... priceless!

4. Omran

Omran Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2008
    Bagdad KY
    Quote:Hey Kentucky,I am also a chicken nan from Bagdad ky,where are you at?
    Congrats for the Egg.

5. Melilem

Melilem Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2008
    Florida
    OOoo what sort of blue egg laying chickens does she have?

6. Kentucky

Kentucky Out Of The Brooder

Apr 16, 2008
    Sorry for the belated response, I've been on "egg watch" duty, since the wife has assigned me the task of identifing which hen laid the "golden egg", which was actually blue.

Omran:
    The wife and her flock live on a small 50 acre place near Paducah, I live there also.

Melilem:
    The suspect hen was one of the wife's (3)three Ameraucanas. The other hens consist of (2)two Silver-laced Wyandottes and (1)one Black Australorp which are both suppose to lay brown eggs.

Kentucky

7. Hangin Wit My Peeps

Hangin Wit My Peeps AutumnBreezeChickens.com

Apr 20, 2008
    Birnamwood, Wisconsin
    That is So cool! I just can't wait! Mine are 15 weeks...I'm getting impatient! How old is your wifes hen?

8. FrontPorchIndiana

FrontPorchIndiana Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2008
    Indiana
    LOL, more precious than a golden egg! We got our first egg last Friday. I figure once we get about 12,000 or so eggs we'll break even. [​IMG]

9. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    Quote:With the rising cost of feed we will never break even. [​IMG]

10. Hangin Wit My Peeps

Hangin Wit My Peeps AutumnBreezeChickens.com

Apr 20, 2008
    Birnamwood, Wisconsin
    With the rising cost of feed we will never break even. hmm

Ours have not raised YET! I'm praying they don't or at least won't for a while. They have been 13.00 for 50 #s for a very long time now. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by