Thrashing 2 hour old chick in Incubator cant get off back

JorasoliFarm

In the Brooder
6 Years
Mar 7, 2013
North Georgia
Please help if you can, We have never had a hatched chick have problems before, not sure what to do, This chick is just continuing to thrash on its back.... It can get its feet under it & just rolls & rolls, my temps & humidity have been fine, all other hatched eggs are fine although I seem to be having a very low hatch rate.... Currently on 10 have hatched on day 21, 40 in bator, still air with fan.... orp/ americauna/ BR's

I'm sorry, but I'd think it's a goner. I've never had a chick exhibit these signs but think it may be neurological, which could be down to something as simple as nutritional deficiency or something as complex as genetics. I've heard of people treating older chicks with vitamin supplements in their water but this little one's not even at the drinking stage. Hope the rest are ok.

ugghh... yes that is what I am thinking, I have 7 already in brooder, short of minor head injurys from the fan..... Thats another issue!
All are great, there are now 2 more hatched in with this little guy & he is just "stiff backed" legs strait out & together, so no signs of "splaying" his eyes do open & he appears somewhat alert & fighting but he just thrashes onto his back, & yes his little legs do shake.... so I see the Neuro signs.....
The other 2 are trying to "snuggle" him in the bator so every once in a while he gets on his belly & I think.... ok maybe he will snap into it, yet not yet...
just praying over him, but dont want suffering so I'm on the tightrope so to speak right now.....

Back
Top Bottom