Threat from the sky: Eagles

ChickenCrazy00

In the Brooder
Nov 23, 2016
Since the arrival of migrating eagles in our state, our flock has been stalked. A few day ago, one of our hens went missing. We saw clumps of down in large circular shapes out in the open and decided it had to be an aerial predator, for a variety of reasons:

1. If it were a coyote, coon, fox or any other normal predator, we would see blood and feathers in more of a line, not large clumps far apart. (At least, to my reasoning.)

2. We have never had problems with hawks; they stay far away from our house,and they prefer rabbits and mice which do not live very close to us, due to the presence of dogs and cats. Eagles have been seen closer to the farm, in fact we saw them circling very close to the coop a few days after the attack.

3. Eagles are known for attacking other birds, especially when hungry, and have no qualms about doing it in the presence of humans (even though we were not present when the hen was killed)

Am I correct in assuming this was an eagle, or at least a bird of prey?

If it is an eagle trying to make a snack of our flock, is there a way they could be deterred?

Since eagles are protected, I can't think of any way to stop them without harming them. I don't want anymore our our chickens to be killed! Help!

Since the arrival of migrating eagles in our state, our flock has been stalked. A few day ago, one of our hens went missing. We saw clumps of down in large circular shapes out in the open and decided it had to be an aerial predator, for a variety of reasons:

1. If it were a coyote, coon, fox or any other normal predator, we would see blood and feathers in more of a line, not large clumps far apart. (At least, to my reasoning.)

2. We have never had problems with hawks; they stay far away from our house,and they prefer rabbits and mice which do not live very close to us, due to the presence of dogs and cats. Eagles have been seen closer to the farm, in fact we saw them circling very close to the coop a few days after the attack.

3. Eagles are known for attacking other birds, especially when hungry, and have no qualms about doing it in the presence of humans (even though we were not present when the hen was killed)

Am I correct in assuming this was an eagle, or at least a bird of prey?

If it is an eagle trying to make a snack of our flock, is there a way they could be deterred?

Since eagles are protected, I can't think of any way to stop them without harming them. I don't want anymore our our chickens to be killed! Help!

I agree on your bird of prey guess.

here is an advertisement that suggests breeds of chickens that are "better" , I have decided on Easter Eggers

https://www.cacklehatchery.com/free-range-predator-resistant-special.html

Welcome to BYC @ChickenCrazy00
Any bird of prey, even mammalian preds, might attack with a human present or nearby.
Did you find the carcass or was it gone?
No matter what killed it, something else could have a carried it off, but eagle could carry off a pretty large chicken.
Doesn't matter what kind of BOP it was, keep your birds confined to protect from birds of prey, especially during migration seasons.

Buyer Beware of advertising claims.

the beware from aart is correct, all chickens are prey, it is the degree of awareness that I am seeking, silkies would be an example of a chickens that should never free range, I am also more likely to get eagle kills at my place in winter and hawk kills when their young hatch. I lost 30 guineas at 10:00 am from a single coyote

Last edited:
If they are contained to a coop and run...
I suggest buying aviary netting to suspend over the run.

I have one, nothing from the sky has successfully invaded.
smile.png

The net has deterred owls, and hawks.
Luckily none have been tangled yet.

It has caught two raccoons that were impossibly tangled, and had to be put down.

Back
Top Bottom