Three abandoned roosters, what are they?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Albanydog, Sep 18, 2012.

1. Albanydog

Albanydog Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 22, 2009
    Central Oregon Coast
    Mom manages a friends farm in Siletz Oregon and when their tenants moved out recently they left behind 4 roosters, 5 ducks and at least 2 rabbits, all running loose on the property! Grrr. Called the Lincoln County (Oregon) Animal Control and reported the abandonment, waiting for them to come collect any animal we couldn't re-home and several days later we called back to ask why no one had responded, only to find out it is not illegal to abandon farm animals, except for horses??!! Hard to believe but that would make sense why there have been reports of 2 wild llamas running around that same neighborhood for years now!

We caught all the animals except a mallard duck and have re-homed everyone except a couple roosters and 2 rabbits. The tenants said they raised purebreds, they also said they would come back at night and catch them, but they didn't. We have found at least 15 bird carcases in the wooded area surrounding the property, so we couldn't leave them running loose knowing there was an active predator around.

Anyway..... would be interested in knowing what breed the roosters are, might help re-home them? Thank you in advance everybody!!

This is the largest rooster, he seems to have a little more striping of color in the neck and wings then the other ones.
    Each has gray or black legs with white toenails, single combs with red lobes and waddles with black feathering around the ear.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Y N dottes

Y N dottes Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 1, 2012
    South Central WI
    Jersey giant or Black australorp would be my guess

3. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    mixed breed roosters

4. ramirezframing

ramirezframing Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2011
    Knee Deep
    i'd say mixed breed since they have white in the saddle feathers

5. Y N dottes

Sep 1, 2012
    South Central WI
    uh-oh....didnt notice the white before.....

6. farmerChef

farmerChef Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 18, 2010
    Southern Georgia
    My Coop
    They could be hatchery quality Black Jersey Giants.

7. Albanydog

Nov 22, 2009
    Central Oregon Coast

Those were my two guesses too, I have stared at many pictures of each and they all vary slightly with the comb shapes, length of waddles etc.. I was hoping there were some sort of noticeable difference between the 2 breeds that I, as a layman, had not picked up on. Like one breed having a fluffier bottom or being heavier, taller/shorter, longer/shorter legs etc? I wonder if Jersey Giants are soft like Australorps, because this guy is super soft?! Back to researching I guess! Thanks

8. AraucanaAnnie

AraucanaAnnie Chillin' With My Peeps

Maybe Australorp crosses? They have white feet bottoms, so not JG's. Very handsome!

9. Y N dottes

Sep 1, 2012
    South Central WI
    Ive heared that the easiest way to tell between those two breeds for roosters is looking at the bottom of their feet...australorps have white/pink at the bottom and JGs have yellow...i think

Last edited: Sep 18, 2012
  10. Albanydog

Nov 22, 2009
    Central Oregon Coast
    Thanks, need to remember to go check his feet one of these evenings.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by