Three adult chickens with very loose green watery stool, getting bullied....

Acefit411

Chirping
7 Years
Apr 13, 2012
Catskill, NY
Hello EVERYONE!
I have a mix of one and three old chickens... I noticed about 10 days ago one came down with very watery stools (all day), she is now separated. I Looked in coop yesterday to fine another chicken doing the same. Both chickens are a year and 2 months old.

Earlier in the month I mixed into there feed a higher protein turkey feed to make their molting go a little smoother (here in NY we had record lows for a couple of weeks). That's the only thing that has changed, besides adding Avia Charge 2000 to water twice over the course of one month.

These loose stools are not clearly not normal and even after studding the chicken poop chart... there is really nothing that I can compare to what they are leaving behind. The closest possible that it resembles states that it could be CLOSTRIDIUM PERFINGERS. What the heck is this???? She PROJECTILES the stool out (the stool doesn't even hit the litter, but lands outside the cage) green and white, very loose.

I do not have a place that I can have stool sampled :(

I have had her on Duramycin - 10 for the past 5 days ~ did not help.
Drinking well, eating okay.
Feathers growing back in.

Taking any and all advice please,

~a

I would make sure you are giving them yogurt or some kind of probiotic. Sometimes the meds can be tough on their system, just like ours. Good luck!

@ AlphaChick, thank you :)
All have had yogurt and vitamins added to drinking water.

Is there something that can stop the loose stools? Biostop?!? where can I purchase this?

The picture above is the last poop she just gave me outside.
she's very thirsty, a little on the this side...

@cafarmgirl , I don't have on hand the powder pro biotics, but will get some when I enter town. NO, they haven't been wormed yet... I thought that I would do them all next week. Could this be the work of worms????????

The picture above is the last poop she just gave me outside.
she's very thirsty, a little on the this side...

@cafarmgirl , I don't have on hand the powder pro biotics, but will get some when I enter town. NO, they haven't been wormed yet... I thought that I would do them all next week. Could this be the work of worms????????

How warm has it been where you are? If she's very thirsty and drinking a lot that will translate into very wet droppings and that's what that looks like to me. But figuring out why she's drinking a lot is another question, whether it's just due to warm weather or something else going on.

Worms can cause diarrhea and dirty backsides and chickens are generally going to get some kind of worms at some point just due to their lifestyle. Deworming them will at least rule out that concern.

If they were my birds? I'd deworm so I'd know that base is covered (use something effective and broad spectrum like Valbazen or liquid Safeguard for goats) and give probiotic's and keep an eye on things, see if there's any improvement.

I will add that I have no experience with clostridium perfringens and I don't know how common it is so that bears further investigation if you think there's a possibility of that.

@cafarmgirl it hasn't been terribly hot here at all.... nights are between 40 and 50 degrees. The days have been 60 to 71 degrees for the past few weeks. Today and yesterday it reached 80, but for the last 10 days she has been in the garage, and only going outside for 30 mins to catch some sun.

Her backside is very clean, nothing has a chance to touch the feathers she poops so hard it's flying out! ;(

I will de-worm them all ... I have wazine and ivermectin pour on. I thought that I would do the wazine first, wait two or three days and then do the ivermectin. Is that the correct way to de-worm?

Also, there is NO blood in the stool (that I have noticed), could it be a form of coccidiosis?

@cafarmgirl it hasn't been terribly hot here at all.... nights are between 40 and 50 degrees. The days have been 60 to 71 degrees for the past few weeks. Today and yesterday it reached 80, but for the last 10 days she has been in the garage, and only going outside for 30 mins to catch some sun.

Her backside is very clean, nothing has a chance to touch the feathers she poops so hard it's flying out! ;(

I will de-worm them all ... I have wazine and ivermectin pour on. I thought that I would do the wazine first, wait two or three days and then do the ivermectin. Is that the correct way to de-worm?

Also, there is NO blood in the stool (that I have noticed), could it be a form of coccidiosis?

How is she acting otherwise? Is she out and about, eating/drinking normally?

I would not use either Wazine or Ivermectin to deworm. Wazine only takes care of roundworms and there are many more worms chickens can get. Studies have shown that Ivermectin, due to it's overuse as a treatment for mites, is no longer an effective wormer for poultry. I would use Valbazen or Safeguard. Standard size birds get 1/2 cc orally, repeat the dose in 10 days. After that they can be dewormed on a schedule appropriate for your climate. Twice a year works for a lot of people, warmer/wetter climates = more parasites and require more deworming.

It doesn't really look like coccidiosis to me, especially if she is otherwise acting fine. If she's sitting around, fluffed up, not eating/drinking then I'd treat for it even if just to rule it out. Chickens can be extremely hard to diagnose, many times all we can do is start ruling things out by making sure we've covered our bases in regards to the most common possibilities first.

Back
Top Bottom