Three baby chicks, 2 days old..what to do

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Terri E, Oct 5, 2016.

1. Terri E

Terri E Just Hatched

Aug 24, 2016
    Onalaska, Tx
    Ok, here is my detailed problem.

I just don't know what to do.

The incubator humidity was increasing and decreasing. i tried to adjust to make sure it's 60% and tried not to let it go below. it sometimes went as high as 87%

The two baby chicks are Ameracuna (EE) and when they dried. I placed them in my heated box with food and water with all the rest that hatched.

I have noticed that the two seem smaller and is wobbling around. a better look at both, both legs are off to the sides.
    I've tried my best to research this and tried to use the bandaid technique for both.

I constantly checked on all of them especially the three injured ones. I've noticed that they ate not eating add much nor drinking as much as the others.
    I would pick them up and tried to have them drink. they will not drink on thier own. But I still try even tried placing water as best as I can in thier tiny beaks.
    Food is a problem. They wouldn't eat. But in my search, read that even uncooked egg yolks works wonders. Plus to use sugar water for them to drink..
    I've done the sugar water and they drank a bit more.

The third chick, seems to have a broken leg. A cat pounced on my hand and triedto eat it bit was able to prevent that. Now or seems or has a broken leg cause she no longer walks and has her leg raised against her. no using it and hobbles. Romijn of taking her to the vet but don't know the cost plus, I'm not working. So, i will have to see what i can do.

If you like for me to post pictures, I will.

Any advice will help. Don't think they will survive.
    I just don't know.

Stressing out.

2. lazy gardener

lazy gardener True BYC Addict

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    Terri, sometimes the last chicks to hatch have issues. You did nothing wrong with your humidity. It will jump up when a wet chick comes out of the shell. Bound to yo-yo around a bit. If you can get some poultry nutri-drench, I've found that's the best option for any stressed bird, including hatchlings. You can hold a drop to the side of the chick's beak so it will wick into it's mouth. I never put liquids directly in a chicks mouth, but you can also use the same beak dipping technique with the PND that you would use with water. Sugar water is a good pick me up for weak chicks. You can also make your own electrolyte solution. (do a google search for recipes) If you can find an injury on chick #3, and can get help with splinting, you may try that. Wait it out, and see what happens with these 3. They may be failure to thrive and need to be culled. Give them 48 hours if you can before making that decision. If you don't see improvement in them, best to cull so they don't suffer needlessly.

3. Terri E

Terri E Just Hatched

Aug 24, 2016
    Onalaska, Tx
    Update:
    All 3 died.

4. annagok9

annagok9 Just Hatched

Oct 2, 2016
    West Virginia
    I'm sorry to hear about your loss. You did your best.

5. Dani4Hedgies

Dani4Hedgies Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2015
    Merriam, KS
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by