Three Brabanters....two boys and a girl???

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by joyous, May 29, 2010.

1. joyous

joyous Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 3, 2009
    Davenport, Iowa
    These are five week old golden brabanters...does the hair do tell the sex??[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

2. LeBlackbird

LeBlackbird Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2009
    SE Pennsylvania
    No, it doesn't. These are a bit young, I'm going to say you have a pair

3. joyous

Oct 3, 2009
    Davenport, Iowa
    Thanks for the quick reply! There are actually two with the black feathered head, and one without...Which one do you think is the female???

4. LeBlackbird

Aug 17, 2009
    SE Pennsylvania
    The crestless one is female (If you are breeding, I would cull it if I were you [​IMG] ) The crested one is a boy [​IMG] btw, He has a very nice shape to his crest, and should be a very good bird

My brabanter Roo, started crowing at 6 weeks [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. joyous

Oct 3, 2009
    Davenport, Iowa
    Thanks so much for your help, I didn't think the crestless one(female) looked too great! I will keep her for egg laying, but I won't breed her. I am excited that you think the cockerels look nice! I have never had brabanters before, but I heard that the roosters are non aggressive ( I have Grandchildren) What is your experience"

6. LeBlackbird

Aug 17, 2009
    SE Pennsylvania
    Quote:He is the Wimpiest, most Cowardly rooster I've ever seen [​IMG] It's pathetic. He also is the Loudest rooster I've ever owned. however, He is very entertaining [​IMG] lol, Funny roosters they are. He's very flighty, and shy. He doesn't like to be held, and screams bloodly murder...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by