1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Three Broody HENS at once.

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by catfish, May 13, 2009.

1. catfish

catfish Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2008
    Greenbrier, Arkansas
    Well I had a Hen go broody for the first time a month ago. Then something got her eggs (ie DOG) a couple times and it broke her broody.
    Well guess what.
    That didn't last long the FOrce was strong in this one. She was determined to do it again. She had 12 eggs under her.
    Well I'm out of town alot so I get back home and checked on the chickens. Theres a second one setting. She's got a dozen eggs under her too. [​IMG]
    I figure no big deal. So I let them be and looked a few days later. Theres a THIRD in the coop setting. I get to counting and the three of them are brooding literally next to each other. Theres 3 dozen eggs under them now. [​IMG]

If they all hatch I'm going to have chickens coming out my ears.
    So anyone in Central Arkansas want some chickens later let me know as I have no use for 40 chickens around the yard.

Wish them [​IMG] that a bunch will hatch. I figure all the eggs aren't the same age and theres two hens thats still laying and I seriously think they're laying ON TOP of the broodies adding to the count.

2. Picco

Picco Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2007
    NY
    Broodiness is contagious, I have three at the moment. When one of my wyandottes starts the others fall like dominoes. It makes for some risky egg collecting (heavy gloves are a must!).

3. KattyKillFish

KattyKillFish Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2009
    Dillingham, Alaska
    man, i have no such luck! i've never had a broody hen in my life [​IMG]
    i've had to take care of my aunt's broodies though, she's had five at a time. it amazes me! i LOVE broody hens, to matter how mean they can be

[​IMG]

4. maf2008

maf2008 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 19, 2009
    I have never seen a broody hen... and I have hens that will lay soon. How do I tell if a hen is broody for sure? Most importantm If I want her to hatch eggs, will she still keep laying? How do I tell the "fertile eggs" from the new fertile eggs that I do not want to hatch?

She she will bite ? [​IMG] will that hurt ow! I do not want to be attacked!

I do not want to sound dumb.. [​IMG] I just do not know... please advise thanks [​IMG]

5. Southernbelle

Southernbelle Gone Broody

Mar 17, 2008
    Virginia
    The most I ever had was 8 of my 10 Silkie hens and I put them to good use! [​IMG]

6. fowltemptress

fowltemptress Frugal Fan Club President

Jan 20, 2008
    I decided I'd just ignore my broodies this year, the ungrateful things. If they are selfish enough to deny me eggs, they can sit on their bums all they want looking like overstuffed pillow cushions.

Of course, on hearing that they all went on strike at once and immediately set up one communal nest in a likely spot just to spite me. The eggs have hatched, and the chicks and hens have no clear idea as to who belongs to who. Everyone seems to be content to mother whoever is closest. It's really quite ridiculous.

And all the while my poor rooster circles them all, wanting desperately to get back to doing his job by the women, but meeting only with cranky mothers. He's such a poor little dear, but honestly, if he hadn't done his job so well this wouldn't ever be an issue. He's only himself to blame. [​IMG]

Congrats on your broodies! Last I checked, having chickens coming out of your ears was one of the most pleasant conditions to have, next to money coming out your nose, so enjoy it!

7. arllcountrygirl

arllcountrygirl lavender nutt

I might be interested depends on the breed. [​IMG]

8. catfish

Apr 13, 2008
    Greenbrier, Arkansas
    Quote:They're Cuckoo Marans,
    I have one thats a feather leg, I can't remember if it was a hen or a Roo.

LEts see what happens. [​IMG]
    I'm just north of Conway.
    I gave a Rooster away and loaned out my transport cage and the sorry so and so didn't retrun it. [​IMG]

9. catfish

Apr 13, 2008
    Greenbrier, Arkansas
    I made it back home, Theres still three hens brooding in there.
    Something broke one of the eggs and it was partially developed chick inside so I guess they're doing ok.
    Then a careless hen crack another, so I took it out and cracked it open and it looked like a chick. I wish I knew how far along they are. If I had to guess I'd say 12 to 16 days.

Anyone have a site that shows eggs in the different stages?
    Like day 1 through day 21?

10. Chirpy

Chirpy Balderdash

May 24, 2007
    Colorado
    maf2008 asked:
    I have never seen a broody hen... and I have hens that will lay soon. How do I tell if a hen is broody for sure? Most importantm If I want her to hatch eggs, will she still keep laying? How do I tell the "fertile eggs" from the new fertile eggs that I do not want to hatch?

She she will bite ? barnie will that hurt ow! I do not want to be attacked!

I do not want to sound dumb.. bow I just do not know... please advise thanks

You don't sound dumb at all.. very good questions that all of asked at one time or another.

You can tell that a hen has gone broody as she will sit on a nest and refuse to get off. Other than a few minutes to get a drink and food once or twice a day she will NOT leave that nest. If she's still sitting there after two days... you know she's broody. Also, she'll puff up and 'growl' at you when you get near her. Some broodies will 'bite' - which is actually a peck. Mine never have. If you are worried about it... wear gloves when near her.

A broody hen will not lay eggs while she's sitting on her clutch. It usually takes from between 2 to 6 weeks after her hatch before she'll start laying again.

I have two broodies right now. I put specific eggs under them and marked them with a pencil or marker so that I know what eggs she's supposed to be sitting on. I then check every day to make sure some other hen hasn't added an egg to her nest (which often happens unless you have your broodies separated from the rest of the hens).

edited to fix quote​

Last edited: May 16, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by