Three chickens.. what breeds are they?!

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by LindseyDMD, Mar 13, 2018.

1. LindseyDMD

LindseyDMD Chirping

Jun 1, 2017
    I bought three chickies back in December from a local breeder and they were all supposedly three months. She claimed the large black one was an Orpington (I agree with), but then said the smaller black one was a Shumen and the orange one was a Penedesenca. I find these last two claims a little odd since they are uncommon breeds and she was just selling them on Craiglist.

The little black one has feathers on her legs, but not her feet. She is black but a shiny iridescent green at the same time. She is the smallest of the three and has a terrible attitude lol. Her face changes from a deep red to a faint red depending on the time of day. I thought maybe she was a Langshan, but she does not have the U characteristic shape. The only other breed I can find that matches her is a French Black Maran.

As for the orange one, a partridge Penedesenca is the closest looking breed I could find, but even then she is a brighter orange and more orange throughout.

Anyone have any thoughts?

The picture is from right when we bought them at three months. It is the most clear one I have

Attached Files:

2. ButtonquailGirl14

ButtonquailGirl14 Crossing the Road

Jul 13, 2017
    Northport WA
    jersey giants??? and a buff something or other? (wow...i am so helpful...)

3. Frazzemrat1

Frazzemrat1 Free Ranging

May 8, 2017
    Eastern Connecticut
    Not BJG. They don't have feathered shanks, and my BJG never had a black face. Not sure what they are. Can we get individual pics, from the side and the front?

4. Gray Farms

Gray Farms Conserve Heritage Breed Livestock

Apr 11, 2016
    NW Missouri
    Need closer, clearer pics without the wire. I honestly don't think any of them are what you were told.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2018
  5. LindseyDMD

LindseyDMD Chirping

Jun 1, 2017
    Please bear with me, I have a very cheap phone lol but these are the best I could get.. the girls did not like the idea of pictures other than Frannie my red one

The large pic embedded is of the bigger black pullet, my "Orpington".

The smaller black one in the thumbnails has the feathered legs IMG_20180314_162203087_BURST001.jpg

Attached Files:

6. Gray Farms

Gray Farms Conserve Heritage Breed Livestock

Apr 11, 2016
    NW Missouri
    Look like crossbreds to me. How old are they?

7. LindseyDMD

LindseyDMD Chirping

Jun 1, 2017
    Awe, I have mutts basically? Lol

They were supposedly three months at Christmas time. So I assume going on six months now. No eggs yet though

drumstick diva likes this.
  8. sourland

sourland Broody Magician

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    I agree that they appear to be crossbred birds.

drumstick diva likes this.
  9. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years.

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    I'm sorry but they all appear to be cross breeds. Maybe they will be good layers despite that.

10. Crazy for Chickens!

Crazy for Chickens! Free Ranging

Jun 9, 2017
    NW Missouri
    The buff looks like a Buff Catalana

LindseyDMD likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: