1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Three chicks sick

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by jody78, Feb 24, 2012.

1. jody78

jody78 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 21, 2012
    It started around evening, on Wednesday, I noticed one of my chicks are extremely lethargic, sitting with her eyes closed under the brooder heat lamp. Weak cheeps. Her brooder pals are all appearing healthy, though up until now last night. I found two more are having the same symptoms. I took chick #1 to the vet yesterday afternoon, and they are holding her there for testing and observation, giving her meds/fluids/antibiotics. She hasn't recovered yet, and no improvement as of today. I hope for the best at this point. My chicks are almost a week old. What should I do for them??

2. Duramaxgirl

Duramaxgirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2010
    Idaho
    What is the temp of the brooder? Are you useing a thermometer in the brooder? What kind of Chicks do you have? Bantams or large fowl? What type of feed? Are you using vitamins in the water? If so how much? What type of bedding are you useing?

3. jody78

Feb 21, 2012
    The temp is kept at 90 degrees, We're using straw as bedding right now. For the first two/three days we had newspaper and paper towels down. They have medicated feed from Purina and Sulmet in their water. they're Buff Orpington girls and one Partridge Rock. (sex unknown as this point)

Last edited: Feb 24, 2012
  4. Duramaxgirl

Duramaxgirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2010
    Idaho
    Hmmm im sorry they're not doing well. Why are you useing sulmet and medicated feed? I don't think I would combine them. Also maybe they're eating their bedding. I usually use paper towels on pine shavings for the first whole week.
    I hope they start doing better for you.
    Maybe someone else will chime in to help out.

5. jody78

Feb 21, 2012
    I called the hatchery, they chalked it up to "shipping stress."

6. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    No sulmet now. I would first put ground up crumbles in there, I find alot of my chicks couldn't eat the big crumbles, and were vultures with the ground up feed. I also try mash made from water and feed, mine seem to love that. Just because you see them eating doesn't mean they are eating.

I would think chicks with shipping stress would show signs earlier.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by