Three cockerels, blood everywhere, now what?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Toetwo, Feb 12, 2014.

1. Toetwo

Toetwo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2012
    Hi,
    I've been here before about sexing four chicks. They ended up being three cockerels and a pullet. They are 7 months old now. Seven hens. Four cocks. Not a good ratio. Yesterday morning, I went into the coop and one of the cockerels, Cornelius, was bloodied all around his neck. The hens were all hovering around our main cock (father to the three cockerels.)

Today, a 2nd cockerel, Pong, is all bloodied around his neck--and there is blood flung around the coop, on the hens, on the food bin. But all seems calm. I have been trying to rehome them, and/or find a place/someone to process them and no luck. I live in Jaffrey, NH.

FYI, there is enough room. The double coop is probably 10' by 5', and the two runs are both 5' by 18', and I open the runs so they can peck around between the two.

I know now I have to be rid of the three dapper dons . . . but how?

Thanks!
    ToeTwo

2. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Double coop?
    So you could sequester the bloodied cockerels in one side of coop until you can get rid of them?

ETA...try the New Hampshire thread for advice on where to get them processed or rehomed.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2014
  3. Toetwo

Toetwo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2012
    Thanks. I have a neighbor lined up for tonight to help. Now I need a major attitude adjustment.
    Thanks again,

4. Cockerels/roosters often get along when they are in a pen together with no hens, you could try it.

5. keesmom

keesmom Overrun With Chickens

Jul 28, 2008
    MA
    Granite State Poultry is in Milford. You could call them about the processing.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by