Three CX Feed Questions

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by vaiger, Jul 19, 2010.

1. vaiger

vaiger Out Of The Brooder

Jun 27, 2010
    1. What is the earliest you would recommend switching to pellets from crumbles? My local feed store has a 21% protein feed but it only comes in pellets.

2. Any problem feeding layer crumbles or pellets to CX birds as long as I keep the protein up? I am thinking I will be dispatching at 8-9 weeks. Would the excess calcium cause a problem for that short time period (assuming it is the last 4-5 weeks or so).

3. My non-medicated feed options are limited at the store I like to buy from. I see they have a 32% catfish pellet available in aquatic feed. Do you think this feed is ok? I was thinking mixing this with the 21% layer pellets (1 part catfish pellets to 4 parts layer pellets). This would get me to roughly 24% protein. Here is the info from the catfish pellets:

Crude Protein (min.) .............................................................................. 32.00%
    Crude Fat (min.) ........................................................................................3.00%
    Crude Fiber (max.) .................................................................................. 7.00%
    Phosphorus (min.) ................................................................................... 1.10%

INGREDIENTS
    Plant Protein Products, Grain Products, Processed Grain By-Products, Animal
    Protein Products, Dicalcium Phosphate, Animal Fat and Vegetable Oil with
    Ethoxyquin (a preservative), Lignin Sulfonate, Ascorbic Acid, Choline Chloride,
    Ethylenediamine Dihydriodide, Manganous Oxide, Zinc Oxide, Ferrous Sulfate,
    Copper Sulfate, Calcium lodate, Cobalt Carbonate, Sodium Selenite, L-Lysine,
    Menadione Dimethylpyrimidinol Bisulfite, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Thiamine
    Mononitrate, Vitamin E Supplement, Niacin Supplement, Calcium Pantothenate
    Biotin, Menadione Sodium Bisulfite Complex, Riboflavin Supplement, Vitamin A
    Acetate, Vitamin

2. scubaforlife

scubaforlife Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 13, 2009
    Pellets are fine after about 3 weeks IMHO.

You can give layer feed with some extra protein, the calcium won't hurt the birds.

I dig the catfish food idea but caution you that the animal byproducts might be chicken. I don't like feeding chicken to chickens. Its how we got into problems with cattle (feeding cows to cows).

3. mstricer

mstricer Overrun With Chickens

Feb 12, 2009
    Ohio
    Quote:Really my chickens love cooked chicken, they are like little piranhas.

4. Beekissed

Beekissed True BYC Addict

I would feed the cheapest grains you can buy...they will all likely be the right size by finishing time anyway. And I wouldn't feed free choice either....not necessary to shovel feed to these chickens to get a large bird.

5. vaiger

Jun 27, 2010
    Quote:Beekissed, are you saying cheapest grain within an acceptable protein level? If so, what is the minimum protein you are thinking? I am on my second batch of CX birds. My first batch I tried to feed 22-24% the entire time. This batch, I started at 24% and I have backed down to 21%. Are you thinking I can go even lower?

The birds are in tractors, so hopefully they are foraging for a little protein as well.

6. Beekissed

Beekissed True BYC Addict

Well, in my experience, high pro or not, these birds will eat and finish at the desired weight at the same time. I wouldn't even care about the protein levels and just feed them some cracked corn, oats, BOSS or regular grower ration. The birds will grow regardless.....

Other folks besides myself have discovered that it really isn't necessary to push high pro feed 24/7 to reach desired weights on time. The birds are designed to pack on muscle and fat....they will do it with any feed you put in front of them.

My niece finished out hers on nothing but cracked corn...they all survived and were huge. I free ranged mine and fed them once a day on layer mash, mixed grains and black oil sunflower seeds. They still finished about the same as folks who fed the "recommended" protein levels, fed continuously, confined them and kept the lights on all night to encourage eating.

7. vaiger

Jun 27, 2010
    Thanks for the explanation Beekissed. I am only 3 weeks away from processing day with this batch. I will definitely try to mix up the feed a little more no the next batch and see how they do.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by