Three day old check, with splayed leg, and watery eye

Nekremer

In the Brooder
Jun 12, 2021
I have a Three day old check, with splayed leg, and a watery eye. The chick hatched on Sunday. On Sunday, I realized that this baby had splayed leg. I made a brace for this baby with vetwrap. His movement was still not good. So I tried to give her some electrolytes. I put her in a separate brooder with a heating table. There was water available, and crumbs of food on the floor of her Brooder. Yesterday morning, I noticed that her right eye was closed. I used a warm compress thinking maybe she had some gunk in her eye. Her I opened. But was a little watery. Last night when I got home from work both eyes were shut. So I did the same, and used a warm compress in both eyes opened. Being mindful that she had still probably not eaten, nor drink, I decided to mix up an egg, and syringe feed her electrolyte water. She was not too interested in the food. But was drinking the electrolyte water I did this all night. This morning when we woke up I attempted to feed her the egg again, along with the electrolyte water. This morning, one of her eyes was opening more, compared to the day before. I was able to give her 1 mL of electrolyte water. And probably a teaspoon of scrambled egg uncooked of course. She has no other symptoms aside from the closed watery eye, and the splayed leg. I have a chick sitter over at the house right now. I’m wondering how frequently should I feed her the egg, how frequently should I give her water, and is there anything else I can do to help her thrive? I am trying everything that I can.
I definitely see some improvement from yesterday. As she was much more interested in the egg.
Any help is greatly appreciated.

Is the chick able to walk around with the hobble? I would try to offer food and water once an hour, and let it take it itself by dipping the beak into the water. Mixing a mushy bit of chick feed and a lot of water may be helpful. If you can give the chick a chick vitamin with riboflavin, that would be good. Saline eye wash or Vetericyn eye gel are good for the eye.

Is the chick able to walk around with the hobble? I would try to offer food and water once an hour, and let it take it itself by dipping the beak into the water. Mixing a mushy bit of chick feed and a lot of water may be helpful. If you can give the chick a chick vitamin with riboflavin, that would be good. Saline eye wash or Vetericyn eye gel are good for the eye.
I tried everything I could. Unfortunately this little one did not make it. I was so attached to this little one, just breaks my heart. Thank you for your help/assistance though!

I’m so sorry your little one didn’t make it. Sometimes it happens in spite of everything we do.
Thank you. I agree, it might have been for the best. Who knows what this baby’s life would have been like. In her short time with us she was VERY loved.

Back
Top Bottom