Three day old chick, sick....

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by AnotherKim, Feb 13, 2015.

1. AnotherKim

AnotherKim Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2012
    She's Easter Egger. I just bough her and her sister Wednesday. They're in a brooder with a week old mixed flock. All being fed medicated chick starter. She was fine until an hour ago, running around the brooder, eating and drinking fine. Went to check on the chicks a few minutes ago and she was lying stretched out all by herself. She can't, or won't open her eyes, and her beak keeps opening as if she's trying to breathe through her mouth. I have her wrapped in a towel, against my chest and I've been using a dropper to give her honey/water.How much should I give her. What else should I do.

2. AnotherKim

May 23, 2012
    Never mind. She just died in my hand. Poor little girl. She gave one last stretch and then just died. I'll keep an eye on the rest and make sure they stay well.

3. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

Oh I am so sorry for your loss. Was she a shipped chick (say, to a feed store)?

4. AnotherKim

May 23, 2012
    Thank you. I got her at Ace Hardware. Yes. Our Ace carries chicks.

5. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

OK it was likely shipping stress. I usually lose a couple out of a batch of 25 from it. They usually pass away within one week if it is shipping stress. Sadly there is nothing that can be done usually. I offer the sugar water that is recommended on McMurray's website for the first day but there are usually just a couple of losses and it always breaks my heart. It is like that regardless of where I order chicks.

It is very hard on them to come through the mail.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2015
  6. AnotherKim

May 23, 2012
    I'll have to remember the sugar water from now on. I may go pick up a couple more chicks. I was really excited to find EE's, so now I want a couple more.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by