Three day old chick, suspect pneumonia, what antibiotic should I treat with?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by umaerth, Jan 29, 2014.

1. umaerth

umaerth Out Of The Brooder

Jan 29, 2014
    Pullman, WA
    Hello,

I recently ordered from Murray McMurray hatcheries. All of my chicks are vaccinated for Marek's and Cocci. This little guy/girl is my free rare exotic chick which I believe is a Blue Andalusian.

On the even that I ordered, this chick and another became listless and wouldn't eat or drink. I set up an E.R and the other chick pulled through and made a full recovery, but this little guy has stayed sick. It seems to have more energy overall but it is now gasping for air (while standing, cheeping). The temp in the E.R box is between 90-95 degrees, so i don't think he's hot. I think he aspirated some food and now may be at risk for pneumonia. I would like to treat it with an antibiotic but I'm not sure what to get.

Here's a better the rundown:

1) What type of bird , age and weight (does the chicken seem or feel lighter or thinner than the others.)
    Three days old, not sure of weight, smaller then the others since it's been sick for two days now.
    2) What is the behavior, exactly.
    Gasping (appeared recently, due to food aspiration after a swan dive into the gruel), listless, no appetite, not drinking. I have been feeding carefully with a dropper.
    3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms?
    Two days. It has more energy but this new symptom needs to be addressed.
    4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms?
    No, this gasping is unique to him.
    5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma.
    After he dived into the gruel his little nose was plugged with gruel. No other trauma.
    6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation.
    A sudden burst of rebellion.
    7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all.
    Water with sugar and electrolytes, a thin gruel made with cheerios, water, cooked egg yolk, organic unpasteurized milk and a dash of honey.
    8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc.
    Runny, green and white - but I think this is normal since he's still passing yolk and grow-gel.
    9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far?
    Gruel and water every time he wakes up.
    10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet?
    Completely treat myself.
    12) Describe the housing/bedding in use
    A box with a lamp lined with paper towels, dishrags.

[​IMG]

2. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    Make sure he's not too hot, it would make his breathing faster. You may want to get either Tylan or Penicillin injectable. There's not much else to do but wait and see. [​IMG]

3. umaerth

umaerth Out Of The Brooder

Jan 29, 2014
    Pullman, WA
    Thank you for your reply. I'm sorry to say the little guy died this morning, making it three days with love and care. Thank you.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by