1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Three day old chick with protruding (possibly prolapsed) vent--slightly bloody around the vent area

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by brpalmer42, Mar 7, 2015.

1. brpalmer42

brpalmer42 New Egg

Mar 7, 2015
    Minnetonka, MN
    I am a first time chicken owner so I am really hoping one of you guys can help me! I tried googling an answer first and came across this thread (https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/480328/pasted-up-chick-blood-at-the-vent-how-can-i-help-her). The similar is very similar but the thread seemed to be a dead end.

How the chick appears: When I was cleaning her pasty butt, her vent looked very similar to the picture in the thread from above--very red and slightly protruding with a little bit of blood. As I cleaned her, she passed a very large excrement. I was inspecting her butt later and attempted to clean some more poop that was in her down and she passed another large excrement. The chick is still walking around, drinking, and eating as normal although I do see her sleeping more often. Every once in awhile she seems to attempt to pass another excrement but to no avail. I'll pick her up every once now and then to massage under her vent to help her pass and she is passing every once in awhile. I am reluctant to handle her a lot since she is still adjusting to her new environment. Her demeanor is calmer than it was two days ago when we got her, as she was the more assertive one, but maybe she just got demoted in the pecking order? I have not witnessed any chicks pecking at her bottom, but I do see her mess with it every once in awhile.

What I have done to treat the chick: instead of using glycerine (like the listed thread), I have treated the irritated vent area with preparation H. I feed my chicks medicated chick starter and they have been vaccinated against Marek's. I am also using electrolytes in the water. I have put hard boiled eggs and yogurt in the brooder, but I have not seen the respective chick consume any.

Is there anything else I can do? Is her change in temperament a huge red flag?

Last edited: Mar 7, 2015
  2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Yes, this is prolapse -- any time the internal portion of the gut comes outside. Chicks with pasty butt often get a little bit of prolapse, even with blood, as you describe. Pasty butt is almost always constipation caused by dehydration. First thing I would do is offer it the choice of plain water. Then put a drop of water alongside the side of her beak and try to get her to pull it in. Repeat til she gets the idea. Be sure it has a constant supply of clean water, not full of litter and no poop in it. If they stand on your waterer and get poop in it, glue a plastic funnel upside down to the top so they can't.

Some chicks just don't seem to llike the taste of these water additives, and what they need most is the water. Good luck!

3. brpalmer42

brpalmer42 New Egg

Mar 7, 2015
    Minnetonka, MN
    Thank you!! I held off on the electrolytes like you suggested and she has been pooping more regularly. Her vent looks like its close to being back to normal too!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by