Three day old chicks...now one is limping

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by FlewTheCoop, Apr 19, 2009.

1. FlewTheCoop

FlewTheCoop Out Of The Brooder

Jan 14, 2009
    Hi! Well, we thought we'd gotten through the worst as we watched a pullet and a cockerel slowly weaken and die, but yesterday one of the healthy pullets started limping! Her legs look fine, but she holds one of them up and tries to kind of hop along...she'll put it down sometimes to stand, but only for a minute before she sits down. I've held her and gently straightened her leg, felt the little bones, there's no obvious injury...

I'm worried about her. Do you think this is just a sprain from chick antics in the brooder? Should I separate her? She's having a bit of trouble with reaching the food and water.

All I can hope is that she heals on her own, because I have no idea what to do for her. [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 19, 2009
  2. CoopCrazy

CoopCrazy Brooder Boss

Mar 3, 2009
    Columbus,IN
    Sorry can't help but maybe we can get somone to take a peek for you.. Good LUck

3. LynneP

LynneP Chillin' With My Peeps

Are your chicks receiving poultry vitamins in their water?
    I used them aand was glad of it- they grow so fast they often outstrip the amount in feed alone.

I'd get her out of there and ababy her, fast. Keep nice and warm, draft free and feed her- she might like starter crumbles mixed with yogurt.

Innoculated?

Source?

Diet?

What else is known to have affected the others you lost?

Is it possible to phone the provider and find out if anything has been noted in the others belonging to this hatch?

Last edited: Apr 19, 2009
  4. FlewTheCoop

FlewTheCoop Out Of The Brooder

Jan 14, 2009
    We ordered from Ideal. The ones we lost...one was lost in transit, the other two were weak and just didn't thrive. We have them sugar water and made sure everything else was good, but they just kept getting weaker. No other symptoms...then dead. This one was one of the stronger pullets...until yesterday. The leg issue came on suddenly, so I really think she's injured herself somehow. She eats and drinks when she can reach the food and water, but has trouble getting around the brooder. No other symptoms so far. I'm just worried about her getting weak from not getting enough food and water.

I will try adding yogurt...I imagine you mean the plain white kind? I can get Stonyfield farm vanilla at the store here, but I don't know if they have plain, and I think it's low fat, but I'll look around for something better.

They were vaccinated for Mareks (sp?). That's it.

Everyone else's legs look fine (even the ones we lost had no physical problems that I could see with the naked eye other than failure to thrive.)

I'll try to get her set up in a better situation so she doesn't get trampled on.

Thanks!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by