Three day old silkie pecking at her toes

Erin80

Songster
Apr 16, 2017
It’s just the toes on her right foot, she will peck at them and yank the feathers and scream chirp. I have checked her foot a few times and I don’t see anything. Any ideas?? She’s walking ok but just pecking her foot like crazy.

You need to provide distractions. It's common for baby chicks to fixate on something and peck at it repeatedly. I made a couple of chick toys decorated with red markings that my chicks still enjoy even though they are four weeks old.

One is a tennis ball with dots drawn onto it with red magic marker. The other, even more popular is a wood block with a foam window caulking noodle stapled to it with red bands made of red duct tape.

I also stuck tiny bits of red duct tape on their heating pad cover. If you do this, make sure the tape is stuck down solidly so the chicks don't swallow it.

If there are any injuries from this pecking, you need to camouflage the red blood or the injury will be pecked raw. Blu-kote painted on the injury with a Q-tip will stop the attention being given to the injury.
3C4092F8-9D63-4A80-9AA1-0AF0715EF7C0.jpeg

It’s just the toes on her right foot, she will peck at them and yank the feathers and scream chirp. I have checked her foot a few times and I don’t see anything. Any ideas?? She’s walking ok but just pecking her foot like crazy.
idk why but i cant stop laughing bcus of these words "scream chirp"

Well she knows that chickens aren't supposed to have feathers on their feet, that's why :lol: Just hasn't caught on to the fact that humans like messing with nature and producing all kinds of oddities with unnatural feathers, fur, colors, sizes and shapes. The chickens just haven't evolved to accept it quite yet.

Distract them until they evolve.

Well she knows that chickens aren't supposed to have feathers on their feet, that's why :lol: Just hasn't caught on to the fact that humans like messing with nature and producing all kinds of oddities with unnatural feathers, fur, colors, sizes and shapes. The chickens just haven't evolved to accept it quite yet.

Distract them until they evolve.
That’s sad 🙁

Back
Top Bottom