Three different hatch dates, same incubator

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by BuckeyeFoodie, Nov 21, 2019.

1. BuckeyeFoodie

BuckeyeFoodie Songster

Mar 29, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    Question in pretty straightforward - I have one NurtureRight 360, and currently have three different clutches of eggs in there (they are currently 3 days, 6, days, and 11 days respectively). I previously had purchased a second incubator to use for lock-down to allow the younger eggs to keep turning, but after a truly abysmal hatch (all 11 eggs pipped, only 4 hatched) I have returned it. I am financially unable to get a second NR360 (or other comparable quality bator) before my next batch of eggs is due to hatch this week.

Will it be safe for me to quickly lift the lid and hand-turn the ones that need it a few times a day during lock-down (my room humidity is in the 50% range, so no big change there)? or would it be better to set the lockdown eggs up on the support structure of the turning frame where they will be stationary, and only turn off the turner on hatch day?

2. FortCluck

FortCluck Free Ranging

Sep 9, 2019
    Central Virginia
    I think you would be fine hand turning if you do it very quickly...

I opened up my incubator the entire lockdown when I had external pips and I had none that got shrink wrapped. I might just be lucky though... I was very quick, I referred to myself as a lid ninja

My humidity would only go down about 2% if that so there really was no change in the incubator.

3. FortCluck

FortCluck Free Ranging

Sep 9, 2019
    Central Virginia
    I want to add something... I do not leave my turner in because I am afraid that the chicks will get caught up in it even if it is turned off.

I do know that you can use egg cartons and move the carton to four different positions every day. You can prop up the sides and middle with some type of item that you have. It could be anything really just as long as it's lifted up.

BuckeyeFoodie likes this.
  4. Brahmachicken240

Brahmachicken240 Crossing the Road

Dec 26, 2018
    Should be fine if you do the turning quick while on lockdown.
    I had to have two hatches in the one incubator this summer because one of the hens stopped sitting on her eggs whilst I had another batch in our only incubator. Good luck!

BuckeyeFoodie and FortCluck like this.
  5. BuckeyeFoodie

BuckeyeFoodie Songster

Mar 29, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    Oh, I would remove the turner for hatch day! I've heard about chicks getting stuck. I think I'm going to try to ninja turn like was suggested...

Brahmachicken240 and FortCluck like this.
  6. Phunktacular

Phunktacular Songster

Oct 29, 2016
    Fulton, NY
    You can improvise an incubator to hatch in with a cooler and a heating pad. I've seen it a few times on YouTube. You'll have to improvise humidity but, I've seen it work.

7. FortCluck

FortCluck Free Ranging

Sep 9, 2019
    Central Virginia
    Yes! Being a Lid Ninja helps. @Kiki has a video she did of how she does candling or opens the lid. I'm sure she will post it.

8. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Crossing the Road

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    I've done staggered hatches in a single incubator before. When doing so, keep in mind that the first week of incubation is most critical for turning and the third week it is much less of an issue so if you have to keep the incubator closed for a couple days when the others have been in a 10-15 days, it isn't the end of the world.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2019
    FortCluck likes this.
  9. AmericanMom

AmericanMom Songster

Aug 10, 2013
    Oregon
    in a pinch once I had a broody leave a nest and added those eggs to my incubator eggs, the broody eggs were four days ahead of the incubator eggs, when it came time to up the humidity for those four eggs I grabbed a box and a heat lamp and fashioned a hatcher in my master bathroom. Out of the four eggs 3 hatched perfectly, one was questionable to begin with so it didnt surprise me when it didnt hatch.

I just used an open top box and when it was time to raise the humidity (after the first external pip) just turned the shower on full hot until the room steamed up.. window and door kept shut the humidty actually stayed above 60% for several hours.

10. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Crossing the Road

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    Keep in mind that humidity isn't a set number. In nature it varies dramatically from time to time. A couple days of high humidity won't hurt the younger embryos as long as egg weight loss is adequate.

FortCluck likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: