Three different hatch dates..what do I do with humididty %

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Hangin Wit My Peeps, Jul 2, 2008.

1. Hangin Wit My Peeps

Hangin Wit My Peeps AutumnBreezeChickens.com

Apr 20, 2008
    Birnamwood, Wisconsin
    I have three different hatch dates...I never even thought of humidity levels...my first hatch date is July 7th, second one is July 14 and the third one is July 17th. Should I keep the humidity levels up to 70 percent until the first six hatch out? And then put it back down? Has anyone every had different hatch dates? What did you do?

2. arlee453

arlee453 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2007
    near Charlotte NC
    It's a lot easier if you have a 2nd bator to use as a hatcher. That way you can remove the eggs on day 19 to the hatcher and get it good and clean between hatches.

It is going to be very difficult to keep your bator clean with staggered hatch in the same bator. Hatching chicks are MESSY and cover everything with fuzz.

If you have no choice, then raise the humidity to around 70% for each hatch range and hopefully you dno't have to open the bator to turn the other eggs...

Hope you have a good hatch(es)

3. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

I use a second incubator as a hatcher.

4. Smitty's Farm

Smitty's Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 24, 2007
    St Clair County, Il
    A second bator to use as a hatcher like Arlee & Katy meationed is the safest & cleanest way to go. If you do staggered hatches in one bator you take the risk of the higher humidity effecting the later set eggs, but it's been done before.

5. Hangin Wit My Peeps

Hangin Wit My Peeps AutumnBreezeChickens.com

Apr 20, 2008
    Birnamwood, Wisconsin
    Well I don't have another incubator so I think what I will do is PRAY! lol I don't know WHY I didn't think of it before. Well, what I was thinking of doing is set the humidity at 60-65 % for the hatching chicks and when they are done hatching, lower the humidity back down to 45 -50 and then back up again when the next batch hatches and HOPE that the higher humidity doesn't affect the unhatched eggs to much. I will be taking out the turner two days before my first batch hatches and will be hand turning the others in an egg carton so it's fast. I will only have to turn them for a few days. Wish me luck! If anyone else out there had any success at this let me know what you did! Thanks!

6. Guitartists

Guitartists Resistance is futile

Mar 21, 2008
    Michigan
    Ok...... I remember seeing a post a while back where they said they keep their bator at 60% from beginning to end. Always had great hatch rates and has been doing it for years! Possibly for decades even [​IMG] LOL

Soooo..... rather than possibly drown the later hatching chicks, I would maybe see if the first round can hatch out at 60%.

7. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

It isn't even an issue of just the humidity needing to be different. What would worry me more than that is the mess that the chicks make when they hatch and you not being able to clean it up without removing the eggs from the bator. That mess is a breeding ground for bacteria.

8. arlee453

arlee453 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2007
    near Charlotte NC
    Quote:Amen, Katy.

Even hatching one or two eggs coats the inside of the hatcher with fuzz and debris from the eggs, as well as membranes and dampness/yuk. I'd be concerned about eggs having to sit for another couple weeks in that.

9. Guitartists

Guitartists Resistance is futile

Mar 21, 2008
    Michigan
    If you put each hatch in their own carton, it should be fairly easy to remove most of the mess quickly and easily. But yeah, there is that chance you take. Good luck though! Do let us know how it goes [​IMG]

10. homeandbarnbasics

homeandbarnbasics Out Of The Brooder

Jun 29, 2008
    Tallassee, AL
    In my experience, if you raise the humidity level to aid the first hatch, you will damage the later hatching chicks. When your first set eggs begin to hatch, the humidity in the bator will go up some anyway. It is less damaging to keep it no higher than 60% through all your hatches.

I would not reccomend putting them in a carton, as it is easier for the little chicks to come out if the egg is laying on its side, pointy end slightly down. You can use a very shallow card board box (with sides cut down to less thn 1/2 inch) and place all the same hatch dates in its own little box. make sure teh sides dont stick up more than 1/2 inch so that you dont retard air flow.

Hope this helps
    Tony

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by