Three eggs hatched early...should the others hatch early too?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Tula, Feb 22, 2013.

1. Tula

Tula Out Of The Brooder

Apr 14, 2009
    Hi!
    I put 36 eggs in the incubator on Saturday, 02/02/13. I thought they should hatch around tomorrow, Saturday, the 23rd. On Thursday, the 21st, I could hear chirping and by that evening, I had one chick. By the end of the night, there were two. This morning we woke up to 3. It's been almost a full day and I haven't seen any other pips or noticed any other eggs shaking. Should all of the eggs be hatched by now, since the others hatched early or should I still expect more to hatch tomorrow or a little later? It's been about 4 years since I hatched out eggs and the last time, from what I can remember, they all hatched on time (not early) and they all hatched out about 24-48 hours of each other (mostly within 24 hours). Any help? I'm nervous I'm only getting 3 chicks out of 36 eggs!

2. rosemi78

rosemi78 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2013
    Ashland, Missouri
    I honestly don't know the answer to your question, but... I didn't set my eggs until 7:30 in the evening. Day 21 was yesterday. I could hear some peeping from one egg Tuesday evening, and when I went home Wednesday (day 20) morning TWO chickies had hatched. By that evening, I had four hatched. The next morning, two more. About half an hour ago, #9 hatched - more than 2 days after my early birds. I think it just depends on when the individual chick is ready...

3. Tula

Tula Out Of The Brooder

Apr 14, 2009
    Thanks for the reply! That makes me feel better. When we went to bed last night, I didn't see any signs that any more would hatch, but we woke up to the 3rd. Maybe more will show up later :) The eggs are just an assortment of yard eggs, so maybe different breeds play a factor? At least there are three for now. I hope I can end up with at least 6! lol :D

4. rosemi78

rosemi78 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2013
    Ashland, Missouri
    Not a problem. :) I only put 11 eggs in (wanted to start small so I didn't get too overwhelmed) and honestly didn't expect anything out of these last 3 eggs since the first 4 hatched a day early and the second 4 on time. Then I went home from work earlier and saw new pips in one of the 3 eggs... I was so excited, lol.

Hopefully everything goes right for you, too! Keep us updated. I love reading about everyone else's experiences.

5. gimmie birdies

gimmie birdies Overrun With Chickens

Feb 12, 2013
    Eastern WA
    chicks all hatch alittle different, don't worry, one egg might have gotten in a cooler spot in the incubator, or a lg. egg my take an extra day or 2. I got to see 2 EE hatch at the same time on Tue. it was cute.

6. Tula

Tula Out Of The Brooder

Apr 14, 2009
    Thanks everyone! Still just three this morning with no signs of others hatching, but today is just day 21, so we'll see! I'll keep everyone updated!

7. ChucktheChick

ChucktheChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 24, 2012
    The coop
    Pictures!

8. Tula

Tula Out Of The Brooder

Apr 14, 2009
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Here they are :) The three amigos, Chit Chat, Rosie and Baby (named by 4, 3 and 2 year old)

9. ChucktheChick

ChucktheChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 24, 2012
    The coop
    They are so sweet! I loooove the names!!! So cute!!! :)

10. Tula

Tula Out Of The Brooder

Apr 14, 2009
    Thank you! :) My kids are obsessed with them. Still no other signs of pips/chicks. I have an issue where I can't seem to keep the humidity up lately! I don't know what's going on. I am trying to avoid opening the incubator, but the humidity seems to keep dropping. I have filled all the cavities it has built in, added a lid of water under the metal wire thingy and just now added a few soaking wet cotton pads. (I don't have any sponges). [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by