Three eggs laid today

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Peepchirpquack, Sep 1, 2014.

1. Peepchirpquack

Peepchirpquack Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2014
    Earth
    Our pullet just Laid two soft shells in the last hour and a double yolk this a.m. Is this ok? She seems ok but she may have eaten some morning glories. Would they affect her egg laying?

2. chooks4life

chooks4life Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2013
    Australia
    If it's actual Morning Glory you'll likely lose her, they're extremely toxic. Even a little sap can put a human child into an almost comatose state with projectile vomiting and diarrhea.

There are many lookalike plants, though, some almost impossible to distinguish from photographs alone. She's still alive so I suspect it wasn't the yellow-flowered sort?

I'd give her a dose of olive oil, about two or three tablespoons, to flush the blooms through her system as quickly as possible, and then either some vitamin C's or some activated charcoal to help pull out toxins. Vit C can get toxins that have been absorbed via boosting system levels of vit C, but charcoal can only get what it physically touches within the gut, generally speaking. If you choose to give both, do the vit C first and wait about half an hour, or the charcoal can absorb it and stop it being digested.

Best wishes.

3. Peepchirpquack

Peepchirpquack Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2014
    Earth
    Thank you. It seems like she is doing fine now. My dad did some research and he said that they were probably bindweed. She did not lay any eggs today but she probably just needs some recovery from all of the eggs yesterday. Thanks for all of your help:)

4. chooks4life

chooks4life Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2013
    Australia
    That's good then, best wishes with her.

5. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    I'd give her some oral calcium.

-Kathy

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by