THREE EGGS this morning from ONE awesome Black Minorca

boysnoise210

In the Brooder
9 Years
Aug 18, 2010
What the HECK? My son ran to the coop after an errand this morning, and our 1-year-old Black Minorca hen had laid THREE eggs! She's been stressed because she's now in the coop with our 10 babies (12 weeks, all brown egg layers... my dad was sure they had just started laying, but we had three white eggs!), and hasn't laid an egg in about four days. Is it possible that they can hold onto them and lay multiple perfectly good eggs all at once?? This is just crazy talk. Share, people, share!

I don't think so... are you sure they weren't just buried in the nest? With so many birds in the coop, maybe someone scratched straw over them?

Otherwise, if she did lay them all in one day, I'd imagine you could make A LOT of money by establishing a 3 egg/day breed! I'd totally buy some hatching eggs off ya
smile.png

Maybe... I have had one chicken that sometimes laid 2 eggs in one day. It was when she just started laying eggs. But 3 would be very unusual. If you chicken laid one
maybe the night , or even afternoon before, and then maybe 2 in the morning? Or just maybe... someone playing a practical joke and put a few store eggs under her?

The thing is, the night before we found the three, I raked all the bedding in the coop trying to see if there were any buried eggs, since she hadn't laid in four days. I had resigned myself to the thought that maybe she was too stressed or was going into a moult, and then all three eggs appeared. We don't buy white eggs (and my hubby wouldn't put for the effort at such a practical joke...lol!), and all the other girls aren't laying yet (about 4-8 weeks from that happy day) and are all brown egg-layers. The greatest part is, that same hen laid another egg the next morning! This is her first multiple lay -- she's been laying for about three months and is a year old. She usually lays an average of 5 large eggs a week, and I LOVE, love, love her! I'm tellin' ya, unless a couple of wild white-egg-layers snuck into the coop that morning, this was ALL Bob, the miracle chicken.
love.gif

Someone is pulling your leg. Not long ago there was a poster on this forum convinced her chicken was laying hard boiled eggs. Took a while but, the jokester eventually fessed up.

Quote:
yuckyuck.gif

THAT is hilarious! I guarantee that there is NO way anyone is doing this, other than Bob the Super Chicken. She laid two more this afternoon! That's half a dozen eggs in three days. We live in the middle of nowhere, we only buy green or brown eggs from our current source, and my hubby just isn't into those kinds of elaborate jokes. Something is kicking her production into high gear; anyone ever heard of a laying spree before a moult? I just assume that this can't go on very long, so I'm searching for answers as to why it started in the first place. The little rooster she's with has started hooking up with some of the pullets, but they're all still scared of Bob, so I doubt he could be fertilizing eggs and somehow kicking her production into high gear. He still runs from her, as do all the pullets. She IS the Big Kahuna.
bow.gif

Back
Top Bottom