Three freeloading hens and an impotent rooser, waddya do?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by joebryant, Oct 29, 2008.

1. joebryant

joebryant Overrun With Chickens

I have four chickens that hatched 24 weeks ago when I personally incubated them. The hens have not laid an egg and the rooster has not mated with any of them. What's the maximum you'd wait before you started collecting fried-chicken recipes?
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 29, 2008
  2. Chickenaddict

Chickenaddict Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2008
    East Bethel MN
    30 weeks

I can't believe that rooster isn't going to town already

Last edited: Oct 29, 2008
  3. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    I think you will not see eggs from them before 27 - 30 weeks. Until they get to that age the rooster won't be paying much attn to them either. Some roosters are not as aggressive as others and won't mate any hen because she is there. Some do know to wait util they get a hormonal signal from the hens that they are maturing to POL.

Patience, Grasshopper.

Editing to add -

Red will not mate an inmature pullet in his pen. I had a splash hen get out of her pen and into his. She is about 2 months younger than the hens he has in his harem. He mated the other females but would have nothing to do with her. Mosby, on the hand, that boy needs lessons in smooth operating and slick moves. He is aggressive and overly robust in his affections.

4. Sugar Sand Farm

Sugar Sand Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2007
    North Florida
    My giant cochins are 25 weeks and so far nothing. The cockerels in there could care less. They don't even fight. ( I have 4 cockerels in the same coop) The othrs are just atarting but I am not getting pullet eggs everyday. Patience.

5. the1much

the1much Currently Birdless Hippy

ya,,,, blame the GIRLS!!!!! ,, my big RIR roo wont mate with a youngin either, i just put 2 hens in with him, 1 laying,1 not,, and he WONT touch the young 1 at all, cept to move her out of his way [​IMG]

6. MissPrissy

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    Send me those 2 black hens and I'll send you 2 blue hens and a Splash.

7. joebryant

joebryant Overrun With Chickens

Quote:Sure, I'll trade you if your blue ones have the checkered pattern like this one, but I don't want the splash.
    [​IMG]

8. chickensandmore

chickensandmore Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2008
    Spiro Ok
    They sure are a nice looking couple..what breed are they ( I'm still learning)

Don [​IMG]

9. MissPrissy

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    My blues are dark blue and most with great lacing. My splash roos are running neck and neck on looks with Mosby. I have to look over my shoulder to make sure Mosby doesn't see this but - I have some splash roosters that put him to shame. Splash roo and those 2 black hens of yours = ALL blue hatches. [​IMG]

10. FisherMOM

FisherMOM Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2008
    Bergen, NY
    My Australorp is 27 weeks old and FINALLY showing signs she will be laying soon. Red face, comb and wattles.. and showing interest in the nesting box.

Hang in there Joe... they will lay soon.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by