1. Come check out hundreds of awesome coop pages (and a few that need suggestions) in our 2018 Coop Rating Project!

Three hens, all with egg issues

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by estersfeathers, Jun 23, 2010.

1. estersfeathers

estersfeathers Hatching

Apr 9, 2010
    This has been going on for about 6 months. One hen will not lay for a long time, and during that time there looks to be yolk in her poop. When she resumes laying, the yolk disappears. She is currently pooping yolky, no eggs. Second hen has always had issues with being egg bound, but now only lays shellless eggs. The third, at barely a year old, my Buff O. stopped laying for about 3 months, and is now laying again. Yes, they have access to oyster shell. I've posted about this before and no one was helpful. I'm hoping the right eyes see it this time.

2. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

Well, even though the problem is related, the symptoms are SO different, so I'm sure I'll be not help either. Only feed layer feed (and the oyster shell you mentioned) for a few weeks. No scraps (except maybe a little high protein stuff such as sunflower seeds, salmon, etc.), no scratch. Also, stress can cause problems with egg laying. So take a look at their enviroment. Plenty of room in the run and housing, plenty of ventilation in the housing?? You've checked them for mites/lice (parasite problems can cause stress)??
    I have no clue how to "fix" a hen who is prone to being egg bound. I know I've read that once it's happened, there are high odds that it will occur again, and have never read of a "cure" other than how to get the egg out. I guess maybe that's a physical issue with the bird.
    Sorry I can't be of more help...

3. estersfeathers

estersfeathers Hatching

Apr 9, 2010
    Thank you. These girls actually have it pretty good, so their habitat is fine - they get lots of exercise, live in a big ex-pottery studio with sky lights, etc. The only variable in your response is the parasites: when I took one of them to the (useless) vet, I asked them to check for mites, and they found none. And I find that the ladies won't stand for me scrutinizing them too closely. Any tips on how to check for parasites, etct., I could probably use.

4. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

If you have a spouse or friend around, you have one person hold while you part feathers to get a good look at the skin. The rear end area, especially near the vent, is supposed to be a good area to check. If you're doing this alone, I would wrap the bird firmly in a towel, hold her on a table top w/one hand, and get a close look at her skin.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by