1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Three hens and a rooster!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by clucknorris1, Nov 19, 2016.

1. clucknorris1

clucknorris1 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 18, 2016
    Hi all, I've been lurking as of late but have officially become a member. We have 3 (originally 4) hens and a surprise rooster who so far has justified his continued existence by generally protecting the flock (except for what we believe was a fox incident with our small black one but she tended to lag a fair bit behind the group).

The rooster is a bit aggressive but our 4 year old is learning to stand up to him (shocking amount of life lessons there), and I've been handling him a lot - hoping his hormones calm down a bit, but who knows (maybe you do [​IMG])

So far, they free range full time - we have a large herding dog who generally keeps most predators at bay, and they get along well with him except when he tries to eat their feed. One is older than the others by about 6 weeks and lay her first egg yesterday.

We're getting 15cm of snow tomorrow so that should be interesting. We've done a sand bedding and will be putting pine shavings on top for warmth through the winter - the coop is big enough for them but also small enough that I'm concerned (maybe wrongly) about the air quality if we did deep litter.

That's pretty much it, we named them and have fully become chicken people - evidenced by our talking more about the chickens than our kiddos at parties!

That's pretty much it about us, very happy to be here! You'll be seeing me around for sure.

ETA: We don't know what breed they are. Likely a Canadian breed or one that does fairly well in zone 5 - a local farmer hooked us up with them and I keep forgetting to ask him what the breed is. If you know I would love to find out!

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 19, 2016
  2. dekel18042

dekel18042 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2013
    Pennsylvania
    [​IMG]Maybe red sex links? Please be very careful with your son and the cockerel. I love my beautiful boys (Being human aggressive here is a one way ticket out.) but there are tons of stories on here of children and even adults being hurt by roosters.

3. clucknorris1

clucknorris1 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 18, 2016
    Oh I know... I'm especially terrified of eyes getting pecked - pretty much my worst nightmare. She's not really allowed to go close to the rooster unless I'm with her, the problem was when she was getting off the bus after school - he would start to chase her and she would run away which just made him more set on catching her. Now she knows to stomp towards him and he backs off right away.

He still may end up being dinner if he keeps it up - he'll try if you give him a chance, but otherwise he's pretty good. He doesn't bother the dog or visitors. I feel a bit better letting the hens free range with him around so we'll see.

4. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    I would put your daughter first, roosters are capable of great harm to faces, and especially eyes. Because children are closer to the ground that adults - more serious harm is done to them.

There is a glut of roosters on the market including some really good ones that are NOT human aggressive. There is never a good reason to keep a bad roo. This is not your daughters fault - all blame in on the rooster. You can get another rooster easily - you cannot get another daughter like her.

5. CuzChickens

CuzChickens CountryChick

Apr 24, 2016
    Virginia
    Hello there, and welcome to Backyard Chickens! I am so glad you joined us, I do hope you will make yourself at home here. Enjoy BYC! I agree with DDiva, my little sister suffered two rooster attacks to her face (not my rooster, thank goodness) and she has scars 5 years later, and ALMOST lost her eye. Not pretty.

6. RodNTN

RodNTN Following Jesus

May 22, 2013
    The USA
    My Coop
    Hi and [​IMG] Its great to have you!

7. BlueBaby

BlueBaby Chillin' With My Peeps

Hello, and welcome to BYC!

8. N F C

N F C Home in WY Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    [​IMG]

Thanks for joining us!

9. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Out of the Woods Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

10. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Hello from Kansas, clucknorris, and :welcome! Pleased you joined our community! Best wishes to you and your flock! :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by