Three hens dead .

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Nana_4708, Sep 24, 2012.

1. Nana_4708

Nana_4708 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 10, 2009
    Danville GA.31017
    We have about 40 chickens all this years chicks. we have lost 3 golden sexlink hen in the post two weeks.No sign of anything no bleed just found them in the yard dead.Today my husband saw the rooster on top of her he looked back and the hen was dead there were some feathers where he pulled out of her. We have 4 rooster and the chickens all are free range .We have amber links, RR and golden sexlinks . Any ideas what going on with the hens do you think it is the roosters killing them .Please help

2. sherylreno

sherylreno Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2011
    Reno, Nevada
    It sure sounds like it to me. I would get rid of that one.

3. AlicesSilkies

AlicesSilkies Chillin' With My Peeps

Agreed! So sorry for you, its always really sad [​IMG]

4. Sally8

Sally8 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2011
    Hornby,NY
    I'm sorry about your hens also. I wonder why a rooster would want to kill a hen?

5. Nana_4708

Nana_4708 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 10, 2009
    Danville GA.31017
    I sure wish I knew why he is killing them if he is the one that is killing them.They are just showing up dead no signs of anything thought it could be a snake but no signs of that .And the golden sexlinks are the only ones that are dead.

6. leadwolf1

leadwolf1 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2011
    Just to be sure, I would have a necropsy done. Your local government extension agent can help you find a state lab.

It's hard to believe that a rooster could kill a hen with one peck to the head and no external injuries. It just doesn't sound right to me.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by