Three ladies died from the heat today. Totally bummed. Don't know the breed. Any ideas?

Ese_N_Gracie

Songster
11 Years
Feb 22, 2008
Thousand Oaks, CA
I thought Raccoons got two yesterday and then the third succombed to the freakish heat today. All three the same breed. Red with super thick necks a little black on the tail. Very thick bald eyebrow patches and big earlobes and two of them had spurs (but def egg laying hens)waddles kinda stretched straight down the neck....not in a droppy way more like an older persons chin...sorry for the pics of them dead but I don't have any live. These were VERY large chickens.

That's sooooooo sad!
hit.gif
I'm very sorry about your loss.
hugs.gif
Pretty sure they were lovely little Buckeyes.

~Alex

Just north of Los Angeles... god they were awesome but I'm afrid to get any more. I think that if the heat had increased normally they would have been ok but this was out of the blue at least 110 today... the last was dead before 10:30... and yesterday was only like 95 :( At least I know what they are... they didn;t look like some of the buckeye pics... they reminded me of serious angry ghetto chicks (just the looks... total bruisers) but they were so inquisitive and quiet and sweet. Well they will at least be fed out to educational animals... I watched all the ladies super close today... they are afraid of the crazy lady hosing everything down ... but tonight they had lots of blueberries and mealworms to sleep on. Thanks everyone!

I haven't lost any so far, but in AZ we have been experiencing lots of losses due to heat. I think you are right that the sudden spike is hard to adjust to. There are lots of theories on how to keep your chickens cool, but hosing everything down and giving them some cool mud to walk/lay in seems to be one of the best ways. So sorry for the loss of your girls.

Today they werent as afraid of the hose... we've worked out a good system where we split the trees in half (I spray and they go under one side and then we switch)...thankfully today they stayed under and didn't go running out into the sun... it's also cooler today. I just hate seeing the gular fluttering and the sad droopy wings. They are testy though. For the first time I had to break up a fight in the hutch... cuz god knows even though they have a half acre to lay their eggs... they all have to use the same box

Back
Top Bottom