THREE LARGE ORP HENS DISAPPEARED. HELP

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Clipclop, Mar 17, 2013.

1. Clipclop

Clipclop Out Of The Brooder

Feb 4, 2013
    Today my three large English Orp hens and my large Orp Rooster were turned out into the yard to forage. I live in the city and have a large fenced yard. It is a very good fenced yard and they never fly and never even act like they want out of the large yard. They just browse around all day. I saw them at 1 pm and gave them scratch. I was home all day. I went out at 9 pm to shut them up. They go into the hen house every night on their own without fail about dark. I had fed my horses late this morning and so I wasnt going to feed them again until 9 pm so I waited until then to go out. I have done this many times and never a problem because the chickens go in without fail every day. When I went out to shut the door all that was in the hen house was the rooster. The hens have vanished. There is no sign of feathers or a struggle anywhere. I never heard a thing all day. Do you think a person walked in and put them in a bag and walked out with them right under my nose. I get furious thinking about this. Do you think it is possible a dog got them? I just dont think a dog or a hawk would take three of them without a sign. This is driving me insane please help. I am so mad.

2. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    If there are no feathers or sign of a fight, a two legged predator decided they wanted eggs or dinner.

3. JanetS

JanetS Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2012
    Any luck finding your hens? That's strange for 3 to be gone at once. I could see a predator maybe getting 1 or 2 but not 3. Maybe you idea of someone walking in and taking them is a good one. Especially leaving the rooster. A lot of people don't like them.

4. Bear Foot Farm

Bear Foot Farm Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2008
    Grifton NC
    Quote: I watched a TV show that filmed a Fox killing 4 birds in a row, carrying each one off to a field to bury before it came back

5. farmboy22

farmboy22 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 31, 2012
    Horses?
    It sounds to me you are somewhat rural, your best bet is to look your whole property, I had a coyote attack and I didn't find the bodies until several days later over 500 feet away. And at that it was a few feathers . Varmint just about polish off a whole chicken

6. Clipclop

Clipclop Out Of The Brooder

Feb 4, 2013
    Actually I am not rural. I am four miles from downtown Oklahoma City. I guess only in OKC can I have horses this close in. Actually our property is grandfathered and the city cant do anything about the horses. I am very urban with my little 3 acre farm in the city. :) Anyway the hens came home that next midday. I suppose the walked the edge of the property when the dog opened the gate and the rooster was too dumb to figure out how they got out is why he was still there. They came back on there own unscathed. I have the gate locked tight now. That little trip did cause the most consistent layer to quit laying though. Weird.

7. JanetS

JanetS Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2012
    Glad to hear your hens found their way home. Sounds like they might have quite a story to tell.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by