Three little birds ... (which is which?)

AppleMomma65

Songster
Mar 16, 2020
Spooner, WI
My Coop
My Coop
I ordered an Olive Egger ("Picholine"). a Jersey Giant ("Black Betty"), and a Barred Rock ("Oreo"). In looking at their chick pictures online, they look very similar. To tell the harder to identify breeds apart, the hatchery I ordered from puts a purple band on the Olive Egger. However, the chick I thought was an Olive Egger did not have a band on it. The chick I thought was the Jersey Giant had the purple band on it - so I think the hatchery put the band on the wrong chick. The Barred Rock is growing feathers that are black and white so I'm pretty sure I've got the correct ID on that one. Can anyone help solve my mystery, or is it too early to tell? Pic #1 is what I think is the Olive Egger (no band). Pic #2 is what I think is the Jersey Giant (has purple band), Pic #3 is what I think is the Barred Rock. Thank you!

#1 - Olive Egger?
OliveEgger.jpg
#2 - Jersey Giant?
JerseyGiant.jpg
#3 - Barred Rock?
BarredRock.jpg

What color are the BJG's soles? Yellow? The barred rock is correct. I don't know about the other ones. Can you post pics of the BJG's comb? They are supposed to have a straight comb.

They are only a week old so no combs yet. The one I think is the BJG has black legs with lighter colored soles (not yellow but sort of light brown). The one I think is the olive egger has both black and light brown feet with light soles.

Olive Egger Feet?
OlibveEggerFeet.jpg

Jersey Giant Feet?
JGFeet.jpg
Jersey Giant Soles?
JGSoles.jpg

you can tell at hatch what the comb is unless its like a cushion, I can tell if its rose be. or single as soon as their hatched so the have very small combs but the are distinguishable. straight one of their head should give people a clue

Back
Top Bottom