Three little piggies move outside...

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by boilerjoe_96, May 18, 2008.

1. boilerjoe_96

boilerjoe_96 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2007
    West Lafayette, IN
    My piggies moved outside yesterday. Got them on 4/13 they were 9 lbs...today Red one is 43...others are a few lbs heavier... The two white ones I am raising for some friends. The red one has quite a personality. Real friendly likes to be petted...no she isn't about to bite me(see close up of her with mouth open).

Can't wait for all the chops, bacon and sausage.....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. wynedot55

wynedot55 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2007
    you can tell those piggies are growing real good.an they look good to boot.

3. lilcountry

lilcountry Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2008
    Benson, NC
    What breed are they? I want like 2 pigs, are they hard to raise? What is the best breed for bacon etc

4. boilerjoe_96

Apr 4, 2007
    West Lafayette, IN
    Not sure.. these were culls(thus free) from a local pig nursery guy... I think the Red may be Duroc and the others are Chester or Yorkshire...(maybe)...

Getting them so small was only a minor issue, they had to be fed expensive food, but other than that they are pretty easy. Keep them with food and water. When inthe barn they were a little smelly(mainly because I only cleaned the pen 1 time a week).

All in all I would say easy to raise. They are fun to play with(as much asyou can play with a pig), my girls(7, 5 and 14 months) love them....

I have these 3 in a 16X40 pen which(I think) is plenty big for 3 pigs.

5. hensdeliverthegoods

hensdeliverthegoods Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 18, 2007
    Catawba County, NC
    I'm so interested in getting a couple of pigs to raise for meat, but I hear they can get out of just about everything! What are you doing to keep yours in the pen?

6. boilerjoe_96

Apr 4, 2007
    West Lafayette, IN
    Right now? Just 48" woven wire field fence. They have only been out there a couple days. I can tell already though, I need to get to work installing the electric fence. I was planning on running a wire about 6 inches off the ground, that(I would think) will keep them off the fence and keep them from escaping. I guess I will see.....

7. justusnak

justusnak Flock Mistress

Hey BoilerJo...good looking pigs! I have mine in a fence...1x3 I think it is..and it is burried about 6 inches. He does root...but not to get out. I just throw him grass clumps..and he is happy.

8. Becky89*

Becky89* Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2008
    pennsylvania
    I remeber when my dad use to raise piggies they were so cute and we always got the breed called the Blue butts [​IMG] thats what the neighbor that gave them to us called them anyways.

I miss raising pigs maybe when I am up on my own two feet more I should get some.

9. greyfields

greyfields Overrun With Chickens

Mar 15, 2007
    Washington State
    Mine are only around 35#'s at the moment. I had such a tough time finding weaners this year. But I'm so very proud that you are raisign them under the sun, on dirt, as nature intended. [​IMG]

10. rooster0209

rooster0209 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2008
    North Dakota
    Floppy ears are Chesters & pointy ears are Yorkshires...I used to show pigs in FFA

I think they are adorable. I would have a hard time eating one

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by