Three lovely ladies.

SarahInAlaska

Songster
6 Years
Apr 2, 2013
This one I was told was in Amerecauna but she does not look like the other "true Amerecaunas". She lays a sage green egg.

These two I were told were a barred rock and a cuckoo Maran. I believe these two are laying my extra extra large eggs (2.55 oz or larger) in two hues of brown.

Are these accurate breed assessments?

the first is an ee the others are a rock and maybe a hatchery marans but to be a true marans they have to lay a 4 or higher on the marans egg chart and she does not

the first is an ee  the others are a rock and maybe a hatchery marans but to be a true marans they have to lay a 4 or higher on the marans egg chart and she does not
Thank you. I'm waiting for the Cuckoo Maran to have some more time laying. I've only had her two weeks and some of her earlier eggs were darker. I would like to see how her eggs look at the beginning of a cycle when the eggs should be at their darkest. It's not too important to me though as I have several Black Copper Marans that lay darker. Is it common for a BR to lay such a large egg of the same more spherical shape as a Maran?

each hen lays their own egg shape. I have a Sumatra hen that lays a golf ball almost. Had a golden lakenvelder that laid torpedoes for eggs
lau.gif
you will even see differences in the shade of eggs among the same breed of hens

each hen lays their own egg shape. I have a Sumatra hen that lays a golf ball almost. Had a golden lakenvelder that laid torpedoes for eggs :lau  you will even see differences in the shade of eggs among the same breed of hens
I got a "torpedo" egg from one of my young leghorns once! They are so bizarre looking! Lol

Back
Top Bottom