Three mystery Chickens...

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by cassidian, May 9, 2016.

1. cassidian

cassidian New Egg

May 9, 2016
    Florida
    I picked up 6 chickens from a local feed store in the beginning of April, and three of those chickens do not appear to be the breed I purchased.

Mystery Chicken #1 Biscuit (definitely not the RIR I bought)

[​IMG]
    Picture of the crest-thing and brownish chest
    [​IMG]
    You can see Biscuit's legs a little more in this picture
    [​IMG]

Mystery Chicken #2 Pebbles (Supposedly a barred rock)
    [​IMG]
    Pebbles has some fluffy cheeks developing
    [​IMG]
    More fluffy cheeked Pebbles (on the right) Chiclet (on the left)
    [​IMG]

Mystery Chicken #3 Chiclet (also supposedly a barred rock)
    [​IMG]
    Chiclet on the left
    [​IMG]

At this point, I just hope most of them are hens...

Let me know what you think!

2. OrganicFarmWife

OrganicFarmWife Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 21, 2015
    No where Nebraska
    Definitely do not have a barred rock. You would already see the barring. Easter Eggers? The tuffed top is a specific breed, but cannot remember what.

3. Alexandra33

Alexandra33 Chillin' With My Peeps

Not sure about Pebbles and Chiclet, but Biscuit looks to be a Cream Legbar. Lucky you! [​IMG] I've got two right now, one of which lays the biggest, most perfect blue eggs.

~Alex

4. mellcrowl

mellcrowl Out Of The Brooder

May 17, 2013
    Biscuit is a Crested Cream Legbar. Lucky buy! They are very uncommon in the US. I just got a breeding trio a few weeks ago. Pebbles looks like a Sumatra with her black legs and skin... Also quite rare. And my best guess is Chicklet is a good ole australorp:)

5. Alexandra33

Alexandra33 Chillin' With My Peeps

I can see how Pebbles could look like a Sumatra given her overall characteristics, but I'm sure she's not. [​IMG] Sumatras have an almost nonexistent small black pea comb rather than a pink single comb like Pebbles'.

~Alex

6. EggSighted4Life

EggSighted4Life Overrun With Chickens

I was also thinking Crested Cream Legbar for the first chick. I think those are auto sexing at birth. Very cool!

7. Lady of McCamley

Lady of McCamley Overrun With Chickens

Mar 19, 2011
    NW Oregon
    I agree, Biscuit is a Cream Legbar (it is actually improper, I've learned, to call them Cream Crested Legbar...Cream Legbar is the correct breed name). While less common, they are becoming more available to my pleasure. I've got 2 that lay lovely green eggs that I'm using for an OE program. And yes, they are autosexing, and yes, you've got a pullet.

I'm not sure that is a true beard on Pebbles...it might be just some juvenile fluff. If it is a bit of a beard, I think Pebbles is an EE. I agree Sumatras have pea combs, black face and comb, which eliminates Pebbles as a Sumatra.

As to Chiclet....I can believe Australorp. If any red bleed through comes in, then Black Sexlink. But with that much facial white, I think Australorp.

LofMc

8. kimschicks16

kimschicks16 New Egg

Apr 14, 2016
    Can anyone tell me what breed and gender they think my 5-6 week old chick is?[​IMG]

9. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    beautiful youngsters -

10. mellcrowl

mellcrowl Out Of The Brooder

May 17, 2013

Aw yes, but as the pullet does have a crest it would still be more than acceptable to call her a crested cream legbar (the crested variety). I mean she is created is she not?
    If she wasn't than she would still be a cream legbar (breed name). Because creating is an incomplete gene it isn't exihibed by all the individuals within the breed (only about 2/3 are crested) so I can understand where your coming from by stating "crested" isn't the breed name, but it is a breed trait, which is why I included it in post.

I agree, that on second glance Pebbles is not likely a Sumatra. An EE could be possible or she could be a very dark australorp or I've seen black sex links start very dark too and lighten up as the red comes in.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by